HybridZ

LSD rear brace thingy

Guest Anonymous

Yes James Thagard is running some serious power!!! Scottie would know better, but I believe that James has run over 120mph in the 1/4 with his L28 turbo.

Reading the artclie it really seems like a lot of fabrication though. Is the viscous superior to the clutch system? (I assume that it is somehow, since the clutch type was short lived and replaced by the viscous) Less wear I'd assume...

I was pretty sure that the 240SX's had R180's though Chris. Could be wrong, but it tickles my memory.

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Anonymous

Well guys/gals, I found some info on the VLSDs, although, none is earth shattering. It pretty much confirms all that has been said before:

All Z32s have VLSDs.

n/a Z32s have R200s with 4.089:1 ratios

TT Z32s have R230s with 3.692:1 ratios

The R200s in 240SXs do not have the same "housing" as the R200s in Z32s. It was suggested that the R200 in the 240SX is more like the R200s found in 280ZXs (person who gave this information was not more specific).

From my understanding, it is a popular swap for the TT Z32s guys to swap in the R200 VLSDs for the taller gears. The person I gathered this info from advised that he has not heard of anyone burning one up yet.

I have spoken with James Thagard a couple of times via e-mail about his VLSD swap - REALLY nice guy. If any of you all go to his site check out the link to his Dad, pretty cool reading!!! I am really hoping James gets around to finishing the tech article on his site about the VLSD swap. I have been pricing some R200 VLSDs and they are MUCH more reasonable than the R200 "clutch type" LSDs - IF you can find one...

Chris

James Thagard (last name sound familiar?) ran 120+mph with his 2.8L turbo. He has since built a 3.1L turbo, and built up an auto trans for it. He expects to run high-10s at 125+ mph. He has not been to the track yet but so far everything is holding up on hard street testing. He is planning on coming down to Orlando on the 12th to test the car. We will know then how a VLSD holds up under race conditions with sticky tires and an estimated 400+hp.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

I did some of the same research you did awhile back. The biggest hurdle that I saw other than just bolting the silly thing to the car was the halfshaftsCVs. The person I spoke to who had done the Q45 swap wasn't real specific but I got th edistinct impression that it wasn't a cakewalk. Likewise the VLSD R200 swap I read about on Zcar required a bit of customizing and shafts that may or may not turn out to be reliable under the sorts of torque we'll be putting them through!

IF someone can sort this out and a set of reliable heavy duty shafts is found there will be LOT'S of happy Hybrid folks I'm betting. I might even try to get hold of a VLSD for the future as I honestly think it's a smarter way to go if we could just get it past the point of having to custom hack it together.

Oh - the 240SXs to look for are the ones with alloy wheels I believe. Those are the ones with some sort of LSD in them I believe. I found some of this info on Zcar.com some months ago when I searched for alternatives.

Kripes I wish I didn't face such a steep learning curve on this - this is NOt a Mustang (sigh).

Argh, don't sigh after that statement. smile.gif You should have a (yay!) instead. hehe.

This has got me thinking too... sounds like the way to go to me. The VLSD is going to last a lot longer than a clutch type.....

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Guest Anonymous

Jim,

I believe James Thagard has found an "easy" way of using a VLSD and utilizing production parts with the exception of the custom adapter. When I discussed this with James a couple of months ago he said that the parts for the half shafts would run ~$200 - $250...as for durability, he said he dumped the clutch at 4300 rpm with a 75 shot of NOS and 18lbs of boost...it broke the driveshaft at the top of first gear!!! Not the halfshafts!!!

Scottie stated that he and James are going out for some testing on 12th...I am really interested to see how the rear set up holds up to James' new combination under race conditions.

Chris