HybridZ

manual swap in 81 turbo

Guest wakeboarder_37122

Guest wakeboarder_37122

Im looking into getting a 81 280zx turbo although it has the 3 speed auto and I'd defiantly want a 5 speed. What all do I need for the swap, I have the clutch assembly (clutch, line, master cylinder, pedal), driveshaft, Transmission, and shifter/shifter boot. All of this came out of a 79 280zx. Will everything crossover fine, and is the n/a manual trans different from say a 82 turbo manual. One Last question,lol...Do I need a manual ecu, specifically turbo. I know that in 240sx you dont need the ecu so im just curious. no flaming, I searched.

thanks, Joe

I have a 1976 280Z/1981 280ZXT hybrid, so maybe I can help a little bit. That trans will bolt up just fine and the ECU will work fine too. I have a 1978 5 speed and 1981 ZXT Auto ECU on my car.

The only difference I notice with the Auto ECU is that the revs stay up a little longer between shifts which is actually nice because it makes it smoother.

You probably will need to use a different driveshaft and you may have to swap the differential flange (which is a PITA).

I've never done an auto to manual swap, so I can't tell you much more.

• 5 months later...

after you remove the torque convter bushing from the crankshaft, remember to install a new pilot bearing.. i forgot mine when did it. :(

i did this swap on my 81 zxt about 12 years ago.

the flange on the diff is a different size than the 79. so either remove the diff flange, or buy a turbo 5 sp and drive shaft.