HybridZ

Fuel Smeel ... near filler neck

heavy85

So I've given up on ever solving the raw fuel smell coming out of the Mikuni's and am moving on to the other source - the arse end. About a year ago I noticed that under quick movements with 1/2 tank or better that I'ld get an overwhelming raw fuel smell. Found the vent lines were bad and replaced them all. Then still happened and found the seal under the cap was not sealing so I RTV'ed it and it sealed. Now what I get is a constant faint ... but annoying ... smell coming from around the filler neck area. There are no visible external leaks and the tank does hold pressure as it is currently sealed and as it gets hot I remove the cap every once in a while to vent it and if it's heated up will have quite a bit of pressure behind it so I dont think the tank is leaking air but ....... where the hell could this stupid smell be coming from if the entire system is well sealed ... and before you ask yes this smell is still there even if there is no pressure built up in the tank?

I dont want to spend $100 for a filler neck if that wont fix the problem and the fact that it hold pressure and has no external leaks leads me to believe it's OK but on the other hand the smell has to come from somewhere and I would gladly spend the money if I knew it would fix it.

Thanks

Cameron

Is there any alternative to buying new parts for the hoses/vents/etc...?

I mean can this be done cheaper with custom work, or is that just something that shouldn't be messed with at all?

I don't have any pressure in my tank, I don't think. If I fill over half way I can smell gas all the time.