HybridZ

at the risk of getting burned

PapaCreech

alrigh tguys i went to the megasquirt sight and have the general i dea of it but this all sound extremely confusing to me what kind of gains can you aexpect with this setup(for argument sake lets see mainly stock nad then well not lol) or is it a data prgram only . what kind of work does your engine need done to it for this to be a good idea? i assume its a really aquite good program seein as its been graced with its on little corner of our wonderful site but just interested

*edit ok lets not say data after mroe research its an a/f controller? *so confused maybe need sleep before tryign to understand this and less alcohol :)

This may not answer your question completely, but megasquirt with MSnS_extra code controls fuel and spark. Any engine benefits from better control of fuel and spark. The engine can be tuned to perform the same regardless of which system you swap to ie- megasquirt, SDS, haltech, Z31 ecu, etc

The selection of the system will come down to other arguments: price, support, reliability (doesn't seem to be an issue with any system nowadays), features, installation.

Price and features were my main concerns, but yours may vary. MSnS_Extra code is the best bang for the buck when you look at the features available(if you need the features). MSnS_Extra has many features that only benefit turbo installs.

Probably the single biggest thing to be aware of with megasquirt is that it is a speed density system so there is no mass air flow meter. This can be a problem if you run a very large camshaft because megasquirt works from manifold pressure which varies wildly with a big camshaft at lower rpms.

The next thing is that megasquirt only supports batch firing of the injectors, so research that and make sure it is not a hangup for you.

BTW, the megasquirt may exist because it is tough to install and there are a lot of questions to answer, or because it is pretty good??????:D

I'm into programming, I liked the fact that MS can be edited. For the most part it's open source. You don't pay for the code, you pay for the box and the chip. Then you pick whatever code you want to run. Upgrading it later is quite easy as well.

NOt to mention i'm in college and Sh*t broke, so the DIY kit was defintaly priced well for me :-)

-Ed