HybridZ

Wetsand or Rubbing Compound

BayAreaZT

The paint on the car I just bought has some heavy oxidation and water spots on the hood, roof, and the top of the fenders. Is wetsanding the best way to clean this up or will rubbing compound be sufficient. I was going to use the following:

1) 1000 or 1500 grit?

2) rubbing compound

3) Meguires #2

4) Meguires #7

5) Wax

Is this a good idea or should I skip the wetsanding. I tried rubbing compound on the corner of the cowl and it cleand it up a lot but you could still see a little bit of the water marks.

picture of the oxidation

DSC00537.JPG

corner of the cowl after rubbing compound

DSC00539.JPG

Guest ON3GO

if you plan on wetsanding then you will have to go higher then 1500.

if you do it then start with 1500 wet (block), then 2000 wet (block) then 3000 wet with interface pad on a DA..

then buff it out with compound.

but it seams just compound will work.

mike

Very nice job, looks like the pain of doing all that work paid off several times over. You should post to let others know what compounds you used and sanding and in what order. It might help with others. I do really like that it appears you did not break though the paint, excellent.

Ok, here are the steps we used.

1. Wash the car...duh

2. Wetsand with 1500 grit. Carefull not to take off to much. There are a few spots where I got the paint too thin but you can't really tell unless you look at a certain angle with the right lighting.

3. Rinse off the car and dry.

4. Buff with 3M rubbing compound. I Skipped the 2000 grit wetsand because I didn't want the paint to get to thin and I didn't think it was necassary.

5. Buff with Meguiars #2 Fine Cut Cleaner.

6. Wash the car again.

7. Buff with Meguiars #7 Show Car Glaze.

8. Wax the car. I used Mothers carnuba wax because I already had a bottle.

9. Step back, admire your work and BS with your buddies.

Man thats a lot of work. Make sure you have plenty of beer stocked before you start.

Wow. It went from needing a new paint job to showcar. Inspiring!

Looks like a million buck, Dale! :2thumbs: is the car what you'd thought it would be? I remember the car having 18" mesh wheels and not the Rewinds it has now. Looks better now IMO. :D

Great work on the paint!!!

Davy