HybridZ

L28ET Electronics

Lurch2461

The crank and distributor mounted CAS components generate the same electrical signal. You can use either one with the 81 ECU you're running.

Thanks Phil,

I was about to buy another ECU as the seller claims I need to have the later model due to it being the ECCS system, but the 81 is also ECCS correct?

Cheers,

Dennis

Have you got a L28et in your r30 now?

No George,

Just getting everything together for it now.

If you read some other posts, you will know I was lucky with the motor, as it only had to have the bores honed and put back together.

Cheers,

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Lurch, you are correct, the 81 turbo ECU is also considered an ECCS. The major difference is that the 81 turbo model had dropping resistors for the injectors located in the wiring harness. In 82, Nissan incorporated the resistors into the ECU. So, you can't use an 81 turbo ECU with an 82 or 83 harness because you will be missing the dropping resistors. The difference was that all 8 turbo's were automatic transmissions. However, you can run an auto ECU on a manual tranny with out any problems. The revs fall off faster between shifts when you use the auto ECU is the only difference I noticed.

• 2 years later...

Phill quick question maybe you can answer, I have a decent looking 81 zxt. Has only a few small problems I have worked through, and now feel its up to par, other than a slightly pinched off fuel line (plan on upgrading one size anyways).

Since they swiched from CAS in 82, was there a real technical reason they did that? To me it would seem to be more accurate without any slop through the shaft, impeller and distributor. I know they are electrically equvelent. But maybe somebody could put a difinitive answer on that, couldnt find any on the forums saying one way or the other.

This weekend I happened to look at a jeep motor, think it was a 06. And they have a 3 coil wasted spark system, with a nice rail for coil on spark plug, looks like it would be a bolt on except for the injector cooler hose. (no big deal). Then use one of the systems I read about here to control it. I believe it will be compatible with the stock ecu until I get ready to go full MegaSquirt.

Rod

Lurch, you are correct, the 81 turbo ECU is also considered an ECCS. The major difference is that the 81 turbo model had dropping resistors for the injectors located in the wiring harness. In 82, Nissan incorporated the resistors into the ECU. So, you can't use an 81 turbo ECU with an 82 or 83 harness because you will be missing the dropping resistors. The difference was that all 8 turbo's were automatic transmissions. However, you can run an auto ECU on a manual tranny with out any problems. The revs fall off faster between shifts when you use the auto ECU is the only difference I noticed.

• 6 months later...

Funny this is the newest thread I could find with the information I was looking for. To me is seems the 81 system would be more stable, but also seems more expensive to produce and more likely to die from extremely long service time since it's more exposed to the elements.

I'm actually thinking of converting to the 81 CAS if I find out I can use the EFI system I want to with it, which is unlikely, but hopeful.

But hey, if I have it on hand, why not switch? I'm not thrilled about the fact the sensor uses the AC bracket. If I use this CAS setup i'll be fabbing up a more petite bracket.

The reason for changing to the distributor was for nissan's heading toward the sequential injection direction with little baby steps.

The distributor in the 280zx proved the technology, the Z31 took it a step further by using a wider slot in the 120 degree wheel to tell the ecu which was cylinder 1, and eventually the 1990 M30 took the system to sequential for nissan single cam six cylinder engines though it's possible another single cam six got sequential before the M30 did outside of the united states.

The furthest the engine management for nissan single cam engines has been taken is in the pathfinders/frontiers/quest ecus that add a true crank angle sensor that counts the 120 flywheel teeth but this signal is only for diagnostics and misfire data and not the general running of the car.

There is no doubt the 1981 crank angle sensor is more exact but you won't be able to run a Z31 or later system that expects cylinder 1 to have a longer pulse.

The sensor is actually 3 sensors in the same package.

One has a discrete 120 degree signal and the other two sensors are on the same signal line but the pickup poles are mechanically spaced 1/2 a tooth off from each other which nets you 180 pulses per crankshaft revolution from a 90 tooth pulley.

Knowing this, you could conceivably build a 1981 style CAS with three discreet sensors on a single bracket if you get the spacing correct.

Part number on mine is 23731-V0801

Engine fits in a F31 chassis fine and the engine bay looks identical to R31 except for it being left hand drive.

img00116.jpg