HybridZ

L-28 in Nissan truck

s14280zx

I was wondering if it would be possible to put a L-28 out of a 280zx into a Nissan or Datsun truck. Would this engine fit in the bay? What fab work would need to be done? Would it work with 4-wheel drive, or would it have to be 4x2? I have two parts cars with engines under 100,000 miles, but the bodys are rusted out. I thought this would be a great motor for a small truck.

If you're talking about the 720, the L6 is a little too long by about 2 cylinders. I've seen a few on the internet that have SBC's, and a V6 will also obviously fit.

Converting it to or from a 4x4 would be fairly easy, it's a bolt on/off. I was going to convert the truck to that, but I would rather do it to a different vehicle.

Tomorrow, I'll take some pictures.

I looked into doing this a little while ago with a 620 and if you want to do it, it can be done but it wont be easy. The stock engine mounts are fairly well placed so if you go off of those, the pulleys are right at the back of the grill which means you will have to relocate the rad to the side of the engine bay or something. and since the L6 is so much longer you will have to recess the firewall by at least 8" in the center. This also means that the trans mount has to go back among other things. It can be done, but it was just too much work for what I wanted it for.

I think a z motor in a 4x4 datsun pickup would be sweet! maybe even an l28et...I would just notch the heck out of the firewall and try to kewep the motor as centered in the vehicle as possible. Then some dana 44s and 35" super swampers. You should get enough tickets from the P!NKS Z's motor and put that in the truck...

I found a 1995 hardbody truck next to where I work that has the motor out that I could buy cheap. Another option I have would be to take the KA24de motor out of my 95 240sx, and put it in this truck. I'm planning a SR20DET swap in it, so this might be a good canidate , too. What would you guys recommend?