HybridZ

engine problem

Guest livewakesnow

Guest livewakesnow

k so i crashed my z and i have a few questions.My car overheated, due to the condition of the hood, i could not open to get to the radiator to poor some water in to cool it down. I HAD to be at base by 0600 this morning. I found out that when i was on the freeway the engine cooled down so i kept it on the freeway, until i had to stop to get a drink so i could stay up. i was at the stop light and im assuming a tube blew off something in the radiator aare because there was a huge cloud of steam. so i got back on the freeway and cooled the engine down. then i noticed a sound, it was like a clunking and my engine wouldn't rev passed 3thousand. i down shifted to 4th to try and get it back up. negative. i got off the free way and took the car out of gear and the engine died. i parked the car and let it cool down. i tried to restart it and i got nothing. the starter is kicking, but the car wouldn't turn over. i have to go back today to look at it and decide what im gonna do. i will have to cut the hood off to take a look. but anyways, i was gonna get a new engine after i get back from Iraq next march. but since this happened i think its gonna be sooner. cuz this doesn't seem like it will be a cheap problem. i would rather put a new engine in it and not have problems than keep this one. i wanted to put a twin turbo supra engine in it. ive been skoping them out and from what i can see i can get most of what i need for 2500-3500. what will it take to make this engine fit, also what other engines are there? i know bout the smallblock 350, but dont really want a v8. also where can i get a hood for the z car? junkyard? i also need the front right headlight case and front right quarter panel. 1979 280zx

I skimmed through it so I might of missed some stuff.

You can pop off the hood by unbolting the hinge bolts from the front if you can get around the grille. then you can access the radiator.

I recall someone had sort of the same problem, but ther car had a aftermarket radiator with the fill cap on the driver side. They had an issue with the AFM getting wet and then cause the engine to not start.

So I say check the AFM connections. It could of came loos in the crash or the connections could of got wet from the steam.

I wouldn't know what teh clunking noise would be though.