HybridZ

turbo swap-please help

Guest turboblackpearl

Guest turboblackpearl

alright so it turns out my old ECU was broken, for some reason pinb 5 ( the ignitor signal) was putting out positive voltgae. my new ecu works and i finally have spark, but the car wont start. i double checked everything to make sure i was at TDC. cylinder one lobes made "bunny ears", distributor shaft mark aligned with oil pump mark, rotor pointing to #1 and 0 degrees at the crank. all i get is a loud backfire. could it be perhaps because i did not wire up the fuel pump relay? i mean, my car is a 78 so i assumed that i didnt need to wire the turbo efi harness up to the relay because there wasalready one there. also, does it matter what connectors go to the injectors?

The injector pigtails are interchangeable. Make sure you have fuel pressure and that the pump is actually running. I rewired my aftermarket pump with a relay referenced off of the fuel gauge power supply, so any time the key is in the "on" position, I've got fuel pump.

About 2 years ago when I bought my car, 2 weeks later my heater core poped! warped my head....good times. Anyway I bought a rebuilt head, put it on and had the same back fire untill I had the cam just right. Seems like I remember it not wanting to run with the cam chain 1-2 teeth off from where it needed to be. Same thing with the oil pump shaft, when I put my turbo oil pump with 82 pump shaft in, the shaft had to be perfect, can't be 1 tooth off either way.:b_hand: