HybridZ

LS1 fuel tank question(s)

wheelman

Last night I started the process of soldering up the pin hole leaks on my stock 240 tank where I welded a sump to it.

After dropping the tank and rinsing it out I looked in through the filler hole and saw a buch of rust where the sump was welded and on the inside of the sump itself (I cut several 1 inch holes to make a baffle and can see into one from the filler hole).

To make a long story short I'm going to start gathering parts to swap in an LS1 tank and have a few questions.

1. Isn't the LS1 pressure regulator part of the in tank pump assembly?

2. Does the LS1 use a returnless system? By this I mean the regulator in the tank recirculates the fuel and a single feed line runs to the rails in the engine bay.

3. Could the LT1 be run this way as well by modifying the fuel rails to eliminate the regulator and the return line?

4. Is it worth the effort and expense to do this seeing as I already have 3/8 inch feed and return lines installed?

5. What is the size of the feed line from the LS1 tank and which connection are you guys using for the return.

6. How did you connect the fuel line to the output/input of the LS1 tank?

7. What is a fair price for a tank with the filler neck and the pump assembly included?

8. Does anyone know if a 3.8 liter Camaro intank pump can be replaced with the larger LS1 pump? Just the pump itself not the entire assembly.

Thanks in advance.

Wheelman

1. Yes, but if you have a regulator on your fuel rail, you can gut the one in the tank like I did.

2. No. It uses a return style.

3. I suppose, but see #1.

4. 3/8" lines are what the LS1 tank uses. Its worth it, not much added expense.

5. See above.

6. Hose clamps.

7. They average $150 and less.

8. Why would you want to do that? It feeds a 5.7 litre which is fine for your V-8. If you add a super/turbo charger down the road, Racetronix sells higher output pumps.

EDIT: Here's the link to the Racetronix pump

And here is a picture of the fill bucket (line on the left is return, middle you can plug, right is feed):

RX-F99-FPM.jpg

Thanks Matt,

Re Number 8 above: A local wrecking yard has a 2001 Camaro with a 3.8 V6 and his books show the tank is identical to the LS1 but the pump assembly is different. Probably a lower volume pump, so I figured if I grabbed the whole thing and then replaced the pump with an LS1 model I'd be set. The wrecking yeard wants $150.00 for the tank with the filler neck, not sure of the pump assembly is included, but I found a tank with the pump but no filler neck from a WS6 on ebay that's $55.00 right now but has 5 days left. The auction has a $125.00 buy it now and costs $50.00 to ship making the total $175.00 if I use the buy it now.

Did you snag the weather pack connectors for the pump and guage from the donor car?

Wheelman

If the tank is the same, then get the pump from an LS1 and drop it in it's place. People are selling those plus the tanks over on LS1tech.com. You should check the Parts For Sale. I searched for "fuel tank" and came up with 38 results in the Parts For sale section alone.

I got lucky and had the wiring attached to the tank. You only need one plug. The grey one in the picture above is all you need. The black one is some emissions crap (I think it's a pressure sensor). I don't know how you would get a hold of that plug though.

I am also looking for the connector (electric) for the fuel pump ( mine is a 2001 LS1 tank) what I have found is AC Delco part # 12167154 , (4-way female black) I cant verify it fits because I haven't bought it, it cost $26 so I'm still searching for a cheaper one as for now, will visit picknpull soon.

I'll have to double check with my shop manual, but I don't recall there being a different pump for the V6.

The black doodad is a pressure sensor. In fact, I think it's identical to the MAP sensor on the LS1.

For your number 6, If you don't want to just use hose clamps, it is possible to buy those funky fittings from the "regular" (as in, open nights and weekend, autozone) type parts stores. They're a bit pricey, but very easy to use - quick disconnect.

$150 seems really high - I got my tank for $75. Actually, they cut the wires which gave me the plugs. But I didn't need them (I have the whole LS1 harness), so I threw them away . Which is odd, b/c I am normally a packrat.

I do recommend replacing the hose that runs from pump to sender top. It's the funky bubbly tubing. I've had that burst on me - twice. First time I replaced the whole pump unit (ebay). Second time I used stainless braided line.

I just got back from the Pick-N-Pull and I found the connectors I needed for the LS1 tank on a S-10 , not sure what year it was exactly it was pretty smashed up , but it was a 96-02 model.

And yea the black doodad is a pressure sensor , From what I understand the ECM uses it to control the tank vent valve (emissions stuff), at least thats what I'm gonna have it do. need to research it more.

conn2.jpg conn1.jpg

Hey Mat , no problem, I forgot about that myself :mrgreen:

I just wasnt gonna pay $26 for a connector, the same ones are on S10's and there a billion of those around, hell i own one myself.

I'll post more info on the pressure sensor when I find out.

• 1 month later...
Guest royz31tls1

I'm doing an Ls1 swap in my 85 Z31 Turbo, anybody know of a good place to get swap parts like mounts? I could fab them myself but if there's someone that's done some R&D on the geometry I would rather go the quickest route. P.S. I also still need an Ecu and a T56.

Much Thanks