HybridZ

Engineering

cygnusx1

Where 3D modeling gets neat is stess analysis. Adding loads to the parts and see if they are up to snuff. When I was in engineering school they didn't have the programs that are around today. I do work with some of the pipe stress analysis.

There is a lot of bending loads on that lower rod end... threads tend to fail when placed in bending. I would suspect that the lower rod end failed first' date=' causing the other parts to fail a bit later in the impact.

You'd get ripped apart for doing that in FSAE, not sure how stringent the judges are in baja in comparison.[/quote']

good call. they both looked like they bent and broke rather than shearing off. I don't think they are quite as harsh in judging as FSAE, but I guess i will find out in a couple days. Next year I hope to tackle the FSAE, it'd be a first for Boise State.

Do it! One of the most rewarding experienced in my life was helping start an FSAE team at my university. It's a wonderful experience. 5 years later they are still going and getting faster all the time. :)

I want to so bad, but it's difficult to get support. We pretty much get no funding from the university and have to do all the fundraising for our selves, not to mention I have to convince my fellow baja members that it's do able. I'm confident that it'll happen, so hopefully in a few months I can be posting pics of the FSAE renderings, instead of the baja.

We had no funding from the university at all until year 2-3. All funds raised by ourselves. It was extremely difficult, totally time consuming, and it made schoolwork total hell. It's almost impossible to find enough time for everything.

That said, if not for FSAE I would have lost my mind with the schoolwork. FSAE became a reason to do my work, so that I could stick around to do more FSAE. ;) I would never have graduated if not for my involvement with FSAE, and the experience was by far the best part of university for me.

Our school is just starting the FSAE program. It actually started at the beginning of the semester. So far we have only gotten one donation for a less than adequate amount, and we're trying to compete for 2007!

Hopes and dreams will pull us through!

anyone want to help out and donate? (tax deductable.... )