HybridZ

Oil Pressure Sensor threads

the problem with that is when you turn the car off, the residual oil in the turbo bearing has to go somewhere. Even beyond that, there isn't really enough pressure to push the oil through the bearing and loop it back up to the valve cover with the engine running. Your stock valve seals aren't designed to stop that amount of oil from going through the guides either, so their lifespan would probably suffer if you started pumping oil right into your valve cover. Plus, if the oil doesn't have an electric pump that continues to run after the car is shut off, it will just sit there and be hot, which is what causes coking of the bearings on turbos (anybody else jump in here if this isn't sounding right). That's the premise behind using a turbo timer as well: allowing the car to idle circulates oil around the engine at low operating temps until it cools off enough to not damage the bearing in your turbo (usually either for a preset time, or until a preset temperature is reached). Skater, before you get too much further with this, you might read up on basic turbo design a little bit, just to familiarize yourself with how it works. If you don't want to modify a pan, you are stuck either getting an L28et pan, or I believe the AZC pan is plumbed for a turbo return (it's just expensive if you are on a budget), but whichever way you go, there really isn't any way around having a drain back to your oil pan. I believe that some of the front wheel drive SR20det motors (like the bluebird for instance) had the return line go into the block just above the pan, but there is a provision for that on the SR20DE blocks. right above the pan on the driver's side, there is a small flat area that goes right to the pan, and this is where you put the fitting. My friend adapted a bluebird turbo setup onto his 98 sentra SE, and it worked really well, spins the tires at the top of fourth gear just from giving it full gas.

try to find some pics of a 280zxt oil pan. generally you want as straight a shot to the pan as you can get from the bottom of the turbo, and you want it as close to the top of the pan as you can get without interfering with the pan bolts or the mounting flange of the pan so that it's above the level of oil in the pan. this is the inside of the AZC pan, taken from their website. see the plug in the upper right side of the picture? that's where they put the fitting, so you can use that for what it's worth. Seems like a saw a thread where ON3GO used this pan with good results? it's been a little while...

mini-05260010.JPG

guess I'm gonna drill and tap a hole for the return later on this week. Where would be an ideal place to drill it?

I have a turbo oil pan laying in the garage right now. If you want me to take some pics and measurements PM me. This one has the original bung for the factory hose, but the placement is perfect for what you are doing.

I do plan on removing the factory bung and replace it with AN fitting with a plug so I can put the pan on the motor for the time being. I'll be eventually going turbo, but not for awhile and this keeps me from pulling the pan later with the motor in.