HybridZ

does the type of tps matter with v 2.2?

veritech-z

hey everybody, just a quick question: i've got a throttle body off of a nissan stanza (all the 240sx's that i saw in the boneyard had the throttle wheel on the wrong side to work with the stock linkage, but the fwd stanza worked fine [i also snagged a 90mm q45 throttle body that day]) that i'm using with my megasquirt install, and for reasons that seemed good at the time i no longer have the tps that came on it. Now that i'm almost ready to finish up my megasquirt, i need to get a new throttle position sensor, and evidently the ka24 has a different sensor from standard to automatic (with an extra $20 for the manual sensor for some unknown reason). my question is this: if i get the cheaper automatic sensor, is it going to work?

It is my understanding that the automatic TPS has the potentiometer type of sensor that is needed for MS.

I have the 240SX one with one connector on the sensor and a pigtail with another connector on it.

I believe the connector on the sensor itself is the potentiometer type output...

Thanks for the input Brad-ManQ45, that's what i was hoping it would be. I was beginning to think nobody cared...just sitting here listening to the crickets chirp...watching tumbleweeds blow by...vultures circling overhead, just waiting for me to give up...seriously though, i appreciate your help. that was the last sensor i needed for my setup, and now that i know that i can move on to trying to fabricate a wiring harness for the whole thing.

Both v2.2 and v3.0 boards support variable resistance or potentiometer (pot) throttle position sensors. Some Nissan sensors are "switch" type, and some are pot type. Some actually combine both into one (240SX).

Get yourself a decent multimeter. A pot type sensor will always have a fixed resistance (Ohms) between the outer terminals of the connector. It should be in the KOhms range. If you connect the meter between either outer pin and the center pin, and open and close the TB, you should see the resistance change. If the resistance changes from an open circuit (MOhms) to zero ohms, then it is a switch type. If the reistance varies smoothly between zero and the resistance you measured between the outer terminals, then you have a pot type sensor. This is the one you want.

Thanks for the help z-ya, but seeing as how i'd be buying a new sensor over the counter, I doubt that most parts stores would like me tampering with their sensors right in front of them with the possible intent of not buying it. I work in parts at a saturn dealer, and sold parts at Advance Auto Parts for five years before this, and i know how uptight poeple get when it comes to electrical components. Before anyone asks, none of the saturn tps sensors turn the right direction to work with this throttle body. Surely someone has purchased a new 240sx sensor for use with megasquirt, and knows which one to get?

Thought you were going to try and use the Stanza sensor.

Get the early 90s 240SX sensor for manual transmission, without cruise control. It will have only one connector, the one you want.

i was only going to use the stanza sensor because i have a stanza throttle body. i went to the boneyard today to pick up a connector for it, and ended up just taking the whole sensor off of a 90 automatic stanza (it was the only decent looking one there, and it's the one with the plug on the sensor, and the pigtail hanging off the side), so when i get to work tomorrow i'll borrow somebody's multimeter out in the shop and check the resistance to see if it will work. all of the 240sx's out there had already been pretty well stripped out...as a side note, they usually have at least three or four s30 and s130's out there, but today not even one. they did have a turbo 200sx, an early q45, and a rear wheel drive maxima though. didn't have the time, tools, or money on me to do anything with them . I've heard that the 200sx turbo has the 4.11 rear end...

hmmm...the plot thickens...upon closer inspection, the pigtail lead DOES in fact seem to be progressive...we used an analog style meter that had the sweep needle this time, instead of the digital one i used yesterday. when you put the leads from the center to one of the edge contacts, you can turn the sensor to different positions and you can make the needle stop in between full open and full closed, but no matter what you do when you test it at the sensor itself, it just pegs open and closed...

If there are two connectors on a Nissan TPS, the one on the pigtail is the one you want to use. That is the poteniometer connection. The connector molded into the TPS body is the switch connection.