HybridZ

going 5 lug ?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

First I would like to say this site is a dream come true. I just became a member five minutes ago. Im planning a 240 project with a small block conversion. My style of Z is that of Walker Morgans 280,I dont want to copy anyones ride but that is the coolest Z I have ever seen. Anyway my question is this: what is my best bet for 18 inch wheels. I have read so much on this topic that Im lost. Knowing what you all know now what would you suggest for someone with a stock Z do for 5 lugs and brake upgrades. My main goal here is to run 18x8 wheels

------------------

Well, in a few days I will post my rear disc/5 lug conversion on my site, which converts to Brembro discs and 240sx calipers using 81-82 Maxima caliper brackets. I have to put the page together. For the fronts, Mike (scca) has a 5-lug conversion using 300zx hubs and rotors with either Toyota 4x4 calipers or his own Outlaw calipers. Plus, Mike is the guy who supplied the parts for the conversion. Check those out, and maybe do a search on the page for 5 lug conversions, there have been tons of posts about that topic.

Welcome to the site, pretty much anything you need to know, someone here can tell you.

AL

------------------

http://refuse.netdojo.com/Zcar

[This message has been edited by alsil (edited December 13, 2000).]

Ya, visit Mike's page! http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html I wish I'd picked up the Outlaw calipers myself but instead I'm going to be going with the more stock style. Hope to start swapping soon, just too lazy to hit the garage so far frown.gif

As for wheels, I wouldn't go 18's - I'd go 17s instead. 18's will have so little rubber aorund them (about a +3 combo right?) that any pothole you hit will put those wheels in danger. Add to that the cost of wheels and tires in that size and it's just insane to do it. It would look like you'd wrapped a rubber band around the aluminum and probably ride like a wagon wheel...

dgsc1, welcome! Good luck and ask away, as there are lots of knowledgeable and helpful V8Z folk here.

Al, your page shows some cool progress! What year Excel do those side marker lights come off of?

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project

pparaska@home.com

Pete's V8 Datsun 240Z Pages

Actually, I have a new site - haven't finished it yet - not completely updated, but moving off the old host, got a new account, so I figured I'd redo the site! I have it linked now in my Signature, check it out, although some stuff isn't ther yet, but will be in a week or so. January 1st, the old site's gone. So I have until then.

Al http://zcar.netdojo.com

[This message has been edited by alsil (edited December 14, 2000).]

Mike, Mike didn't try the tubes - he sold the ones off of my parts car and is going to go with a size that fits his existing tubes I believe. He's nearly there!

As for the Outlaws - we'll see smile.gif You gave me a good deal on these and I don't THINK I'll need a bigger rotor or anything. How hard would it be to upgrade? Cost? Will I need new rotors etc. or just the calipers? I'll probably try these out first - crawl before running etc. Might be working on it as soon as this weekend but I just don't know, holidays are killing my free time.

Hey dgsc1: I bought Walker Morgan's 280z a few months ago and I am just around the corner from you in Daphne, AL. You're more than welcome to look at the car to get ideas or whatever. WOuld be nice to find some more Z people arond the area.

JT

------------------

1978 280z with 280zx turbo motor. Big turbo, big intercooler, and alotta boost. :) 8.4 @ 90 1/8 mile with a bad bad traction problem.

1984 300zx turbo....little turbo, no intercooler, and some boost....13.96 @ 98.9

http://turbotaylor.homestead.com/files/index.html

Oh, I might end up selling the 18's on the 280 in the near future if you are interested in buying them. They look kick ass but I would rather get a smaller wheel that I can get a drag radial for. Haven't decided for sure yet but the idea has crossed my mind quite a few times.

JT

------------------

1978 280z with 280zx turbo motor. Big turbo, big intercooler, and alotta boost. :) 8.4 @ 90 1/8 mile with a bad bad traction problem.

1994 Mustang Cobra with a few mods.....

Guest Anonymous

I guess its going to be a merry christmas after all. Definitely lets get together! I would love to see your 280 in person. Im free anytime. What was done to the car to bolt up those TSW's,what lug pattern and offset are they? Do you get any tire rub? How is the ride? How much cash will I need to get them from you? Hell, how much for the whole car?????????

------------------

LOL, the thought of selling it has actually crossed my mind lately but I don't see it happening. I recently got a 94 cobra and selling the Z would pretty much pay it off and give me the option of a twin turbo kit. smile.gif Like I said though, I really don't see it happening. The wheels are 18x8's, 5x4.5, +20 in rear and +40 in front. They don't rub but the rears are really really close. Rides like **** but at least looks good. smile.gif

JT

------------------

Luv that orange car! Didn't realize the TSW's were 18s - thank you very much for the measurements though :-) If I run 17's in that model can I pretty much use those measurements? did you use spacers? Coil overs, yes?

As for twin turbos - you looking at the Incon kit? Cast iron "headers" etc.? Those manifolds weight like 50lbs EACH and if you run GT40 heads one of the spark plugs on the passenger side backs right into the manifold. (ahem) On my car they used spacers to lift the engine up and still had to notch the frame. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the "kit" hasn't improved much except for the nicer ball bearing turbos. Yes, it made 450HP and ran great but there's lot's they don't tell you. The shop that did mine had to restrict the oil feeder lines too as otherwise I blew oil right past the seals. If you're serious about that kit get with me, I can put pics up of it on my WEB site if you'd like too. I've got a set of the Incon manifolds on the floor of my garage. I'd steer you towards a blower personally.... smile.gif

P.S. More pics of the orange car please!!! And I'd like to know more about what looks like a sub box in the back - how's it fit, what had to be done? Neat car smile.gif Mine looks a bit like it and I might jump on a set of those wheels myself.

[This message has been edited by BLKMGK (edited December 15, 2000).]

Guest dankinzle

Hey that orange car looks sweet. I also like the small bumper up front. I've always been thinking about getting that, but not sure what all went into changing the bumper?

Long

BLKMGK: Yeah, the cobra comes stock with GT40 heads so I guess it would be a bitch huh? What I would really like is just a plain ole vortech A-trim but they don't make a kit for 94+....would have to go with the S-trim. I got a NOS kit laying around so I'll probably just throw a 100 shot at it for now and not worry about it till the car is paid off. Oh yeah, the front wheels on teh Z do have a spacer to work.....I'm not exactly sure how thick it is but I'm sure I can find out.

JT

BTW, what kind of mustang do/did you have?

------------------

Would like to know about the spacer - also any opinions as to fit with 17's vice 18s. I want a bit of rubber between the rim and road plus 18inch rubber costs WAY rude bucks smile.gif

My Mustang is a 1988 LX. 351W w/a ProCharger. Not currently on the road due to my lack of interest lately but it's 95% done (sigh). Motor is new, so is blower, yadda yadda. Pics at -> http://216.254.117.47/development/testweb.nsf Need to put up pics of our Impalla SS too smile.gif More Mustang pics as I've got time, don't have any real good ones up there righ tnow.