HybridZ

Konig Wheels?

Anyone have any experience with Konig wheels? They have some pretty nice looking rims and they're pretty cheap - less than $1K for a new set of 17s with tires.

They do seem to cater to the all show/no go crowd though. Are they heavy? Made well?

Also, has anyone found a newer car that has similar sizing requirements (bolt pattern, backspacing) as an old Z? None of the salespeople and certainly none of the websites seem to want to sell wheels for a 30 year old car.

Been done had the monsoons on my ride. Brian whos your friend who has them on thier car? Im curious, never seen another z with those rims because they dont fit without wheel adapters or coilovers.

Head over to http://zdriver.com/article2.htm and check out my car. Yes they are heavy, but ive dealt with heavier rims. Hence my switch to OZ monte carlos.

Evan

Guest Anonymous

Hey Evan,

My friend has the monsoons on his 3rd gen rx7.

They're some of my favorite rims. I would love to get the adapters but I don't have the $$$. Maybe later on down the road.

By the way, I LOVE your car. Its those pics of your car that made me like the monsoons and want them on my car smile.gif

Brian

Evan, why did you need a spacer for the Monsoons? They're available in both 20 and 40mm center offset - wouldn't a 17X8 with 20mm offset fit a Z? I'm asking b/c I have no idea.

I'd love to get Monsoons - I especially like the extra 4 lug holes. I like 5 spokes, but something about 4 lugs on a 5 spoke looks wacky to me. 8 is better.

Anywayz, them are too 'spensive for me anyway (DiscountTire). I'm looking at the Caffeine -which is very affordable, but would require a spacer. I also like the Diva which is pricey (for impoverished me) and has a 32mm offset in a 17X7.5 which may not fit anyway.

I pretty much can't afford anything right now, but my 14" tires are virtually bald and it'd be foolish to replace them. If you've seen my car, the rims are just wrong. They rub the fender lips front and rear. They are zero offset and 8" wide (215/60 tires).

From the link that Danno sent out long ago(http://www.tolan-hoechst.com/cars/tirecalc.htm), it looks like the 20mm offset 8 inch rims will fit. But I could be horribly wrong. (BTW, I have coilovers)

[This message has been edited by jeromio (edited December 21, 2000).]

Whoops, i knew i should have stopped in earlier. Let me try to answer your questions!

First, konigs are made well and i was impressed with the quality for the price. There are no other off the shelf rims that truely fit except centerline etc..

Dont worry bout the supra drivers, yeah its a wanna be wheel on a 67k car!!! LOL. But hell, my zcar seemed to work just fine with the konigs.

Brian and pete;

Thanks for the compliments on my car. Great to hear. Pete, my car is some color... not sure what. Just when i figure it out the light changes and the color changes. It varies from the colors in the pics to almost a viper blue.

Jeroimo, there were a few reasons i went with the adapters. Reason one, i could then use any import wheel i could find. Two, it kept geometry legit when i didnt have coilovers. Maybe that offset will fit with that rim etc.. but one think i dont like is cars that have the rims tucked too far into the wheelwell. Just my taste though. I do know you can run 17x7 +20mm rims with no adapters. I have heard of this working okay. Maybe a test fit is in order?

Oh yeah, and get this. The day i was buying rims, i almost bought a set of enkie RPO1s. Then i saw the monsoon, i liked the rim but thought it would look like ass on the car. Damn was i wrong! The new owner of the rims loves em! The monsoons just happened to be on sale too!

OH YEAH, if you go to discount tire stores, they will, in most cases, have rims that are on sale. You can get killer deals on wheels. they sold me the rims on my truck too.

Hope i got everyone answers, have a merry christmas er whatever everyone!- Evan

I've heard some really good things about the enkie RP01's, basically its been said they are the best bang for the buck wheel out there, light weight, pressure cast (I think thats the term) and inexpensive. Does anyone have any experience with them?

------------------

"Gimme Fuel,

Gimme Fire,

Gimme that which I desire"

-Metallica

Drax240z

1972 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

http://members.home.net/drax77/newpage.html

Last night my Talon decided to go exploring in a pot hole roughly the size of a small New England state. The tire was destroyed frown.gif but the Konig Wheels seemed to have held up just fine. Just a little real world data about their durability. I'm fairly certain that the original wheels would have not have stood up to a hit that hard.

-Andy

[This message has been edited by Andrew Bayley (edited December 22, 2000).]

Heh, I've got Konig Tantrums on my RX7 TT! Look great to me and th ebolt pattern is the same as the 5lug I'm going to. Will I test fit them when the 5lugcoilover is done? Hell yeah! I like the TSW wheels too FWIW.

Pics of my car(s) are here-> http://216.254.117.47/development/testweb.nsf

If you're interested in the Konigs but they're too expensive head over to www.thepartstrader.com and jump into the RX7wheelssuspension area. Lot's of used stuff on sale worth looking at. While there find me an inner door handle for the passenger side door frown.gif Head, you got one? An Efini Y-pipe too smile.gif

Sorry Head - I know there's someone here who sells RX stuff and I got confused, thought it was you :-)

I'll let everyone know how the Konigs fit or don't on my car when I get that far. Righ tnow I'm stuck getting the damned braided brake line off! Need a 10mm flare wrench it looks like, sucker is stuck tight on both sides. (grr)