HybridZ

Stock ECM or MS for Porsche911

Nismo280zEd

My father and I are kicking around this idea. A stock ECM for his car is 700 bucks. Megasquirt can be had for around 300. However, it's an oil cooled car, and i've only installed MS on water cooled and helped tune that way, so I'm kinda hesitant to go that way with the car, although it would provide worlds or tuning compared to the stock Motronic unit.

What are your thoughts or opinions concerns?

-Ed

This topic also interests me because I am entertaining the idea of fuel injecting my GS1000 which is air cooled. I was thinking about mounting a sensor against the engine and then calibrating it with a thermocouple we have here at work.

911's were air-cooled. :P

If it originally had the bosh *-jetronic system with an afm flap it should be about the same as installing it on a watercooled car, except you use a cylinder head temp sensor instead of water temp. Or you could use a oil temp sensor, but I don't know how much more (or less) reliable that would be.

no it uses motronit... more advanced setup than the jetronic, controls ignition too. I'm extremly neverous about drilling and taping a magnesium porsche case though, so i'd like to use all OEM sensors the car came with. except for maybe adding another temp sensor in an oil line or something.

-Ed