HybridZ

T-5 rebuild questions

BillZ260

A bit of background. I bought a V6 WC T-5 trans and am re-building it w/ a Ford "R" (V8) set of gears and rebuild kit from thegearbox.org. So...

FINALY finished dismantling the T5 last night. Mainly the output shaft and gears. There is one gear that is press-fixed onto the front area of the output shaft. It looks like it's heat treated aluminum but it's hard to tell, it basically sits INSIDE the 'reverse sliding gear'. Anyway, the tops of all the teeth are burred up pretty good and looks like it could be used but I wonder if it needs to be replaced. The races where the bearings sit on the shaft have a visible wear pattern but the finish is still smooth to the touch, no gouges or physical marks. The nose of the shaft is gouged and burred, looks like it may have come into conact with the end of the input shaft?

Any suggestions? Do I replace the output shaft or just clean the front of it up? How crititcal is that inside gear for reverese, is it also the 5th gear driver? If I reuse, shoudl I leave the burs on the teeth or hone them smooth? They are about .025' or so tall and they are on both faces of each tooth.

Maybe I'm worrying about nothing?

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some time this weekend to work on the Trans again. (BTW Kevin stated that the gear should be fine, just clean up any thing small w/ hone or small file, which I did...CAREFULLY)

So now I'm about 80% done. I need to stick the rear housing on, set the pre-load on the input shaft and it's done. These aren't too difficult to do but it's definitly intimidating! I did get stuck yesterday and decided to stop till I can ask Kevin at thegearbox.org a couple of questions. Where the input shaft sits on the nose of the output shaft you have 15 rollerbearings w/ out a cage or anything to hold them together. Its difficult even w/ some grease to keep them in place and slid them where they need to be, and on top of that only 14 fit! The 15th doesn't have room to set all the way against the outer race. If you all have some suggestions, I'd be much obliged! :) I'll see what Kevin has to say then hopefully tonight I'll finish up.

This isn't my pic but it shows 14 of the 15 in place. The 15th doesn't want to sit all the way down againt the outer wall thus not letting it slide over the male end of the outputshaft... :(

14down1togo.jpg

The best thing about this side project is that I fully understand how they synchros and shifting works (for this trans at least) !

The last roller pin slides straight in! I'll do it when I get home :)

Edit: The last roller slid right into place :)

I'm having some difficulty w/ the shifter but I'm thinking that it's ok, and just me be being overly cautious. I'll take the top off one more time. :rolleyesg

Success!!!!

I pulled the top back off and noticed the linkage slid out of place when I stuck it back on :icon50:, that stuff is tricky! So I cleaned it up made my adjustmend and got it back together, double checking everything THIS TIME! :rolleyesg

Once together, cleaned the treads out for the shifter plate mount, bolted it on and stuck it into 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th! Reverse and 5th will require the actuall shifter stick to be attached and maybe the trans bolted up to something.

What an experience :) I'm glad I did it and would encourage anyone else to "Take the Plunge". It seems everyone in here is building motors, all kinds of motors, but not too much in the transmission field. There isn't a ton of info out there but I'd be glad to help out if I can (T-5 Only please). I didn't get any photos, which I regret but it's really not all that difficult.

Tonight I'll start sorting out the HTOB and clutch stuff. That's where I was 2 months ago when I found out I needed a better tranny!