HybridZ

T56 Guys, check my info please!!!

Ok guys, I'm swapping my 700R4 for the T56. I've got an 86-up SBC, and the 93-97 T56. I've searched the forums thoroughly and I just want to run down my list of teh things that I came up with that I'll need to complete the swap, so I just wanted to the more experienced guys to double check what I've got.

Like I said, I HAVE

- 86-up SBC

- 93-97 T56

- 93-97 T56/Lt1 Bellhousing

Parts Needed

- 93-97 350 V8 Camaro Flywheel (153 tooth), Clutch disc, pressure plate and throwout bearing

- 93-97 350 V8 Camaro pilot bearing

- Reverse light switch, reverse lockout switch and VSS switches (on the tranny)

- Autometer Electronic Speedo (to get rid of the cable)

- Tilton 7/8 MC

- Stock T5 slave

- JTR #7 Starter (if I remember right) for the 153 tooth flywheel. (running 168 tooth flexplate now)

- driveshaft (assuming that the 700R4 is longer than the T56 - I haven't measured, and couldn't find it on the search)

Now these items would just be associated with and good to have new, but not necessary

- 93-97 Camaro 350 V8, New flywheel to engine and pressure plate to flywheel bolts

- 93-97 Camaro 6 speed trans mount

And I was planning to run the JTR tranny crossmember that I already have for simplicity reasons and lack of the means to fabricate something. And the Tilton M/C will bolt right to the stock clutch pedal - correct?

Have I got everything covered guys? Or am I missing something?

Yes. the Tilton master will bolt right up but you will want to shorten the rod slightly per the JTR book. Also, you can now buy an adapter to fit the roll pin connection that will give you a -3AN fitting to connect up the hydraulic line. I did the drill and tap on my car per JTR and have had no problems yet but I'd buy the adapter today. I had an adapter custom made when I did Steve Cameron's Tomahawk. Sorry, I don't know who makes that adapter that's available now. I read it in a post here. Perhaps a search would help.

Also, I've read here that the JTR tranny cross member will not work with the T56. But it worked great on Steve's car. His is a '78.

You will want to grind off any extra protrutions on the passenger side of the tranny before hand. And yes, "clearancing" is the order of the day on the tunnel.

Now, how much more clearancing do you think I'll need? I know I did a lot of beating to get the 700r4 in there (it's a 240 by the way), and thought the 700r4 was a pig compared to the other GM tranny's. I haven't had the opportunity to do a side by side comparison yet.

perhaps it wasn't a good idea looking back at it, but I didn't "clearance" my 240 tunnel when putting my T-56 in. The parts that were in the way on my transmission were mounts for something I didn't need, so I ground them off. BTW, I'm up in Rolla if you ever want to come and look before installing/cussing.

You shouldn't have to clearence too much more if you had the 700r4 in there before. I have to make room for the skip soleniod and the reverse switch. You may have to elongate the mounting holes for the tilton,but it's aluminum and it's really easy. Oh, and the clevis for the clutch pedel to the master needs to be threaded for the tilton. The titon is american standard and the datsun metric, but they are VERY close in size and thread pitch. My tap barely took of metal off the clevis you might not need to do that.

perhaps it wasn't a good idea looking back at it, but I didn't "clearance" my 240 tunnel when putting my T-56 in. The parts that were in the way on my transmission were mounts for something I didn't need, so I ground them off. BTW, I'm up in Rolla if you ever want to come and look before installing/cussing.

I might have to take ya up on that one!! On a side note, do you know anybody that rents out cherry pickers around here?

Ok, I went to Jegs to oder some of my parts and saw that they had a Wilwood clutch master cylinder (7/8), that looked to be the same thing as the Tilton unit just a little cheaper from what I found. Is there any difference between the two?

Not meaning to hijack but first of all...you suk j/k!

Second when you get it in, work out the bugs come help me install one in my car when the T-5 goes out ;)

Congrats on getting into the "shifter" world I'm jealous about the 6 speed, I've got one (not T56 obviously) in my G35 sedan and I love it!

How did you get the car up to your place from Vinny's?

D.

I might have to take ya up on that one!! On a side note' date=' do you know anybody that rents out cherry pickers around here?

Ok, I went to Jegs to oder some of my parts and saw that they had a Wilwood clutch master cylinder (7/8), that looked to be the same thing as the Tilton unit just a little cheaper from what I found. Is there any difference between the two?[/quote']

Cherry pickers, not sure (if you mean the truck w/ boom), but if you mean engine hoist, my roommate's got one, but my dad's going to grab it this weekend. Not sure when he'll be done, but my roomie got it from Harbor Freight. The tilton (7/8") I got (from Summit) went on with no modification to the mount holes. It came with an AN adapter and was able to get some really nice braided lines from McMasterCarr (wayyyyy too long tho). Also came with a remote resevoir and another adapter or two. As for the clevis, I ground off the old nut and welded on an standard nut then threw on a lock nut for good measure. Not as quick as retapping tho. Good luck.

Not meaning to hijack but first of all...you suk j/k!

Second when you get it in' date=' work out the bugs come help me install one in my car when the T-5 goes out ;)

Congrats on getting into the "shifter" world I'm jealous about the 6 speed, I've got one (not T56 obviously) in my G35 sedan and I love it!

How did you get the car up to your place from Vinny's?

D.[/quote']

Yeah, I suck :)

But I got the tranny out of necessity rather than want. Although, I have wanted it from day one. I would have rather spent the money elsewhere for now though. I have a lot of other things I wanted to do first, but now the tranny became the priority. I was hoping to get my 5-lug conversion done first with the LSD I've got. But buying the tranny killed the wheel funds ya know. Maybe I'll get enough from my spare parts that I've got now to still get that LSD/CV/5-lug stuff done with the new wheels, or at least get some coilovers so that I can get a NICE set of wheels and wider tires. I have to admit though, going back to a standard has me a little nervous. I haven't done clutch work since I was about 14 and I was just the assistant. So, hopefully I won't make any major blunders.

On a side note Dave, if I remember right, you were talking about getting rid of those seats in the Scarab. Any truth to that or did I have selective hearing down in Branson? If so, I got dibs!!! ;)

Oh, and about a week after I had to abandon the car outside of Vinny's, I ended up renting a U-haul car hauler to go get it. I'm lucky that the tranny can still move the car around, it made it easy to get it on and off the trailer.

I've got pretty much everything I ever wanted for the car in the garage, other than the new wheels as stated before, coilover suspension parts, brake calipers for the upgrades, front rotors (5-lug, I've got the rears), OH, and the C/F Repro of the ORIGINAL Z car SS hood! Now it's just a matter of gettin to it. I'm getting excited all over again to finally have my drivetrain parts to beef that badboy up!!! Now with my luck I'll blow the motor about a week after getting the tranny online.

240playtoy.............yeah, I'm gonna need just the cherry picker to move the motor around a little bit to get the tranny in. I'm still in the process of collecting the odds and ends for the tranny so I prolly won't need it for a couple weeks, but if you know of a place that'll rent one, that'd be awesome. I don't know of a harbor freight around here, but I'm thinking of finding a cheap cherry picker from somewhere and just biting the bullet, unless I can find one locally to rent ya know?

edit: DUH!! I thought I looked everywhere for the Tilton yesterday, but I never could find it. Then first thing this morning I checked Summit again and found this http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=TIL%2D74%2D875U&N=400017+310247+115&autoview=sku Go figure......

OK, I searched and searched and couldn't find what I was looking for....

My next question is this......why do people choose the T5 slave over the T56 slave???? I know that most people with the T56 run the T5 unit, but why? Is there that big of a difference between the two?

OK, this should be the last little tidbit of needed info until the tranny's actually in the car.

I've got :

the willwood 7/8 M/C

T5 Slave W/recommended Mcleod fitting

Now, I'm planning to order a -4 or -3 AN hydraulic line, 90 degree bend on the M/C side and straight into the Mcleod fitting on the slave.

Which should I go with, the -3 or -4 AN line? Will the size change the line pressure significantly/noticeably?

Opinions please.. TIA