HybridZ

HELP! white smoke @ idle

Guest fl1phop

Guest fl1phop

i recently swapped the tt motor into my 93 2+2.. im getting white smoke out of the driver side muffler during idle...no smoke during acceleration or while boosting..i've checked the turbos and they're fine..i've changed the spark plugs..and still having the same problem..can anybody help..thanks in advance..

Guest tony78_280z

White smoke = water being burnt... ie. head gasket.

Black smoke = oil being burnt... ie. rings or valve guides.

Although, I think that a whitish grey smoke could be improper A/F ratio... right? (not sure on this one)

Manual or Auto? Is it “Smoke†or “Steam�

Does it also happen when using the engine to slow the car (high manifold Vacuum)

Auto Trans fluid burns white as well? This can be from the Vacuum Modulator.

Or it may be steam from a head gasket as stated earlier

White smoke = water being burnt... ie. head gasket.

Black smoke = oil being burnt... ie. rings or valve guides.

Although' date=' I think that a whitish grey smoke could be improper A/F ratio... right? (not sure on this one)[/quote']

eeehm no

Black smoke is RICH White whater BLUE is oil

• 1 month later...

At idle the pressure in the water system is enough to pump water into the cylinder area that is closest to the water jacket. When you are under boost are pushing it a little then the pressure goes the other direction. Sounds like you have a streached heads gasket. Suggestion is to pull the heads, O-ring groove the heads and place crush wire in the groves. Add new head gaskets and you should be good to go along with the ability to run more boost without deforming your head gasket causing leaks.

Also Automatic transmission fluid in the fuel or miked in the oil can cause the car to smoke white.