HybridZ

76 280Z LT1 headers?

Guest Ron

I have been gathering as much information as possible before I start this conversion, and really appreciate all the information available here. My next question is; Will the JTR headers fit BOTH sides of an LT1 swap. I have been reading that they will not fit the drivers side. I have to meet CAL. smog rules so I will nave to make a few changes to the headers I use. Would the standard block huggers be a better choice providing I can make the referee happy with sensors installed? I would prefer to buy the right ones the first time. thanks again for all the help.

I ordered the sanderson headers they fit well , except they were not

D-port headers, I called them and they are suppose to have UPS pick them up and send me the correct ones. when you order them really

stress that they are DPORT headers, repeat it about 5 times.

the headres I recieved were CC158 , not the requested CC5's.

Sorry for the rant , just want to help you avoid my delima.

These are the headers I received , they fit well and clearance was good

accept the plugs on the end were close, so a short plug would be needed.

headers.jpg

I made a template and found that there is only 1/16th inch sealing surface at the bottom of the port, This may seal fine but I didn't want to chance it tho, since I paid $300 for them I want to get real D-ports that would seal well.

notd.jpg

I marked the opening with chalk , it was hard to see in the photo so I photoshoped the red area on to see more easily.

Excellent, excellent photos showing the problem with those headers. I used those exact same headers as sold by Patriot a few years back. They were sold as D port type but are not. The issue is not the port matching for flow (which IMHO is a minimal benifit at best) but, like the pic illustrates, for sealing. 1/16" is not enough overlap to insure proper sealing.

Thanks again for the pics. This should be a sticky on LT1 headers.

Thanks again for all the information. Turns out it's to no avail. I just spoke with the BAR guy (thats Bureau of Auto Rapair for you non Calif. folks), he informed me that I CAN NOT make any changes to an approved exhaust for that motor (94 LT1), and I can only run an approved exhaust. That leaves me with the Edelbrocks that are on it now, or stock. I can't just add O2 sensors to a set of block huggers. This is going to be interesting. For any of you in California building a Z that is 1975 or newer, call (800) 622-7333 BEFORE you start. Thats the BAR phone. Very nice guys, and very helpful as long as you don't try to snooker them.

Heres an update:

I called Greg at JTR , he contacted Sanderson , Debbie called me and we straightened it out , Sanderson sent me the new headers and had UPS pick up the old ones, Great service from both businesses , can't complain about that.

Here are the New headers CC-5 Dport angle plug.

dport1.jpg

dport2.jpg

They are definitely D-port's But the port is big , 1/4 inch taller than the round ports. I don't know if they are better than the round ports, and possibly have less sealing surface. But the end plugs are accessible now, I'm going to try them and hope they don't leak.

dport3.jpg

dport5.jpg

dport6.jpg

dport6a.jpg

dport7.jpg

dport8.jpg

The Passenger side fits great, the drivers side hits the spacer on the engine mount, I think if i put the aluminum spacer on the block and the setback plate on the motor mount it will clear the header, but will most likely interfere with the steering shaft. What did you guys do to fix it?

Steve

...The Passenger side fits great' date=' the drivers side hits the spacer on the engine mount, I think if i put the aluminum spacer on the block and the setback plate on the motor mount it will clear the header, but will most likely interfere with the steering shaft. What did you guys do to fix it?

Steve[/quote']I was looking at this picture in the other thread you started, and the way you have your setback plate installed is different than my install.

headers1.jpg

I have the spacer bolted to the engine and then the plate and I don't have any problems with it hitting the steering shaft. IIRC I removed a corner of the engine mount itself to provide additional clearance.

• 3 weeks later...

Dan I'm installing a Subaru Power rack and there is plenty of clearance for it , not sure about the stock manual rack , If i put the man crossmember back in i'll check out.

as for the overlap the bottom is just a little better than the round port headers 3/32nds to an 1/8th max, thing is the Dport header port is 1/4 taller than the round port headers! :ugg:

The plugs have plenty of room now, I guess I'm going to keep them and give them a shot, hopefully they will seal, I dont think I'll be running anytime soon tho , I guess thier made oversize for ported heads.