HybridZ

Can the engine sit for a year if I build it now?

pjo046

The car won't be ready untill next summer. However, I have all the parts for the engine-build now, and I have time to start building it. Is it ok to build the engine, and let it sit for a year before installation into the car? Or is this a bad thing to do?

:wink: Yes, you can let it sit for awhile. Make sure to close all openings (putting it in a plastic bag was a great idea). Also before you start it up, pull the plugs and clean/regap them. Then put some oil into each spark plug opening ( one squirt from a oil can squirter, like you can buy at Wal-mart with at least SAE 30 oil in it). Turn over the engine over without the spark plugs in it. The oil in the cyclinders will relube the walls/rings before startup. Then put the plugs back in and start it up. Depending if you have got the carb/FI put on, you may have to put some type carb cleaner into it to clean out any old gas that has turn to some else. Good Luck, Rich.:ugg:

I Assume you will not start the engine after the build? the biggest problem is that the Oil will "dry" on the lubricated parts. So you should use plenty of lube on the camshaft and check or re-lube again it before you start, and follow RedNeckZ pre-start oiling and it should be OK