HybridZ

V8 swap questions...

Guest vartyak260

Guest vartyak260

I have a 74 260Z that i am planing on doing a V8 swap into and i had a couple of questions.

What would be the major differences in putting a 302 in other than a 350? would there be problems with the oil pan?

Also after you do the swap... what do you have to do with the rear end? will it hold up to the power of a 350 or do you have to change that?

Any info anyone could give me would be a big help. thanks

Ok, I'll say it nicely before someone else says it rudely...

It's very important at a technical site like this one to use the "search" function thoroughly before asking such a basic question. There are two versions of search, the "quick search" at the top of the page, as well as the "advanced search" linked in the same drop-down. The former will give you lots of very general hits for a word or two, the advanced will allow you to refine your search further. I can guarantee you that someone has asked and been answered regarding a virtually identical question.

Second, you might notice that you've posted a question about putting a Ford engine into a Z in the Chevy forum. Though it's possible that someone in the Chevy forum might know the answer to your question, it's more likely that someone in the Ford forum might know the answer better.

Man, go Chevrolet.... Can't go wrong on that one. As far as the rear end, we have had problems only with u-joints / half shafts so far. The center section has been doing fine.

Do the research, checkout websites. There is a lot of info on what you want to do.

I don't think chevy made a 302. They made 305 and 307's. When most car junkies mention 302 they usually mean a ford. Strotter is right, the rear ends don't go out that much, it's the half shafts. There was a member here that was offering a modified or new crossmember to install a ford in a z, do a search on " Ford crossmember" you should be able to find the post.

chevy did make a 302. it was built by chevy to put into the camaro z/28 to race the car in the trans am series, which had a cubic inch cap of 305 ci i believe. factory (chevy) 302's are extremely rare, but you can make one yourself by putting a 283 crankshaft into a small-journal 327 block, creating the necessary 4 inch bore and 3 inch stroke, the perfect recipe for a high RPM screamer. but anyways, fastzcars, you are right. when most people talk about a 302, they are talking about a ford engine.

yup, ford made a 351, not a 350. but i think he was asking the difference between putting a chevy 350 or a ford 302. ya, vartyak260, do like strotter says and search, there is A LOT of information on this site, you just gotta look. happy hunting!:2thumbs:

chevy did make a 302. it was built by chevy to put into the camaro z/28 to race the car in the trans am series, which had a cubic inch cap of 305 ci i believe. factory (chevy) 302's are extremely rare, but you can make one yourself by putting a 283 crankshaft into a small-journal 327 block, creating the necessary 4 inch bore and 3 inch stroke, the perfect recipe for a high RPM screamer. but anyways, fastzcars, you are right. when most people talk about a 302, they are talking about a ford engine.

the cap was 5.0 L

Hey guys,I think your a little off topic here. This guy is simply looking for advice. Dont jump down his throat cause he's got a question.

DUDE if you want some more advice you can PM me.I'll give you all I know.

I know how you feel,i just did a swap myself