HybridZ

Who all runs Holsets on here?

I'm gonna be getting a H1C at the end of the week in a trade. It's going to used with a 50mm wastegate since it's setup for a v-band setup on the downpipe. Just wanted to see all who runs Holsets on here and what they think of them? Spool time... How long till they run out of air...etc... I remember seeing people talking about boost creep on the units with internal wastegates but don't recall anything that required a ext. setup.

I've got an HY35X on my Z31. For the price I like it but its definitely a truck turbo. The turbo is built beefier(heavier) than most hybrids and performance oriented turbos. As a result it doesnt give the best response but it does haul butt. I get full boost by ~3200rpm if I give it time to spool in 4th. Not sure how the H1C compares though.

Guest 280ZForce

yeah, it seems pretty puny compared to an hy or hx actually now that I've seen an h1c.

my holset hy35 has 4" compressor inlet and turbine outlet and a 2.75" compressor outlet to the ic piping. not sure of the dims on the h1c though. I weighed my holset before installing it and it weighed a good 22 lbs or so.

lol...no offense, but the h1c looks like a lil toy. but then again, i see different sizes of h1c on ebay, so i'm not sure.

H1C...

37_12.jpg

42_12.jpg

d4_12.jpg

HY35 vs full t4...

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

So with the divided exhaust housing. Did you guys run 3 cylinders to each section or just toss it on and didn't even worry about it? I'm planning on build a manifold cause it uses a ext wg but not sure if I should just run all the cylinders to it or split up?

Guest 280ZForce

you just bolt it on...no need to build a custom and very pricey manifold just for an ext w/g. and you dont need to build a manifold for 3 cylinders per section.

My holset is ext. gated...the pics I posted above doesn't show it, but I had the manifold modified and had a w/g flange welded onto it. Your w/g flange can look differ than mine depending on the size of your w/g, but the only reasonable place for mine is as shown below. It's actually longer than it looks, it mounts right under the turbo.

Turbo and w/g not mounted...

IMG_0010.jpg

Then w/ turbo and w/g mounted...

IMG_0121.jpg

Thats looks simple enough. I know folks aren't very keen on welding onto cast but I'm a hardcore DIY'er and just crank up the heat on the MIG up and go to town. Thats why the manifold wasn't a big issue. It would of ran me 70 to make the manifold; flanges, weld-els etc...

well with welding on cast iron you will have problems with it cracking or pulling apart...what you are supposed to do is drill and tap some holes (not all the way through) and insert some regular short steel studs and then weld over them so it will grab better.

Guest 280ZForce
Are you running home depot couplers all around or just on the intake piping? I can see one silicone or just a heavy duty reinforced coupler off the compressor housing.

the coupler you see for the air intake is the only non-silicone one I am using because good luck finding a 4"-4" coupler for a hy/hx35, plus if you did, it would be ridiculousy expensive. I think your h1c has a smaller fitting so it shouldn't be hard to find a silicone coupler for you.

the rest of intercooler piping all has Vibrant 4-ply silicone coupler. I am using a 2.75"-2.5" off the TB, then a 2.75"-2.5" off the turbo to the ic piping. then I have 3"-2.5" 90* couplers off the IC to the piping.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

Guest 280ZForce
That was the exact same IC I'm looking to get! lol. Treadstone?

yup yup! i got the big 1...i think they have a few differ sizes for that application of being one-sided. i have the 29x12x3.5. as you can see, it's mounted up at an angle, which makes the top then flat. if you have a 280z, either you will have to cut out a good section of behind the turn signal on passenger side (hoping you dont have the stock bumpers anymore) or mount it up at a slight angle.

i had a portion cut out before for my last intercooler...but it was only 3" thick, so this 1 didnt fit in my cut out and i have too many wires around that area for me to want to do it again.

but for as small as a holset you are getting, you dont need an IC that big, it would be overkill for you.

I have a 280z but the grill, turnsignals and mounting brackets for them all gone. So I have quite abit of room to work with up front. I'm getting kind of worried cause I sent my two turbo's I was gonna use for my TT setup in a trade for that Holset and have yet to hear back from the guy. and we were both suppose to send our turbo's out Tuesday and give each other tracking number and I haven't gotten anything from him like a email or a pm.

Guest 280ZForce

damn, that's why you get other contact info, like phone #s in that case. good luck w/ that.

but the area which will limit your size of an ic is the not the things you mentioned, but the actual stock bumpers mounts which are part of the car. I think you might have a total of like 28-29" inches in between the mounts.