HybridZ

maxima brackets who is going to do it?

Guest scca

All,

You bet guys. I will start into it on Sunday and report back. I don't have a web page to post pictures but Mike and Pete have been kind enough to post my drawing of the Maxima bracket, perhaps they can help me with the photos. Hey Mike or Pete can you help me out?

Danno74Z

Dan,

i was looking at your drawing for the caliper bracket and cant understand the thickness of it, what are the numbers? can you tell me the measurements in inches or mm?

i already have the 92 300 setup on my car i can look and see as i never compared to the other calipers for offset.

email me directly if you can.

Mike

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

Guest Anonymous

If its the bracket picture I have that I got off of either this website or Pete or Mike's cant remember which, it is two pieces of .5" steel with a .11" shim between the two pieces and then welded together. Actually (and it would take a accurate bend) but I think it could be done in lighter material in one piece bent to the desired spacing, but I might be not understanding the obstacles doing that way.

Lone

Well, we all knew it was going to be a cakewalk. The rotors are just too big in diameter for the Maxima bracket - #$%&. When I got home from work I went out to the shop and pulled off the rear drum setup. The Maxima bracket went on perfectly but when I put the backing plate on with the mini drums the "ears" on the Maxima bracket did not clear. I put the rotor over everything and then the caliper without pads and knew immediately I was short or steel. I'm guessing the rotor is about ½" inch too big (too big!). I need to find out what the diameter of Maxima rotor is and compare it to the '92 300ZX one and go from there. I guess I could have a little steel removed from the 300ZX rotor. Has any one done this to a rotor and is it bad to do? Live and learn and have a little fun along the way right.

SCCA The Maxima bracket is ½" thick steel.

Danno74Z

Guest Anonymous

So the calipers and rotors fit fine, 'cept that the rotors are slightly too large in diameter? Is the caliper/rotor offset correct?

People put front z32 calipers on their maximas and have to have the rotors turned down by 5-10mm or so and I've never seen anyone have a problem on their maxima.

I have a bunch of similar z31 rotors, they are almost universally 11.1 inch diameter.......

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Morgan,

The Z32 rotor is 11.6875 inches in dia. And yes the calipers and rotors fit fine.

Is the caliper/rotor offset correct?

I can't answer this one yet because the stub axles are out of the carrier. Maybe tomorrow I will bang one side back in and see what it look like.

Danno74Z

i "may" be getting the maxima brackets made but in a 2 bolt version that allows for NOT removing the stub axle to install..

theres a local shop with a HUGE custom CNC laser cutter that cuts thru 1" plate i will be taking a sample there this coming week to get a price on 50 pcs.

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

Hrm, one question... this is using the stock drum backing plate in some way? Uh oh - I had to cut mine off frown.gif

This sounds promising though. Since I've already got my parts and am halfway there I'll probably stick with my SX calipers and solid rotor from Mike. Just need to get the darned things attached is all smile.gif

Mike - PLEASe let me know about th eprice. I'll be out for a week+ but back soon after and my private E-mail as well as my HotMail will be checked out as often as possible. I'm VERY interested in these brackets and I have no doubt you'd be able to unload a pile of them both here and on ZCar.com.

Also, shot you a note about the rear calipers. Did you get it? smile.gif TIA!

P.S. A friend brought up an interesting point - isn't the Z rear hub cast? If so, how well do welds "stick" to it and is there the possibility of distortion?

yes it is cast, but all it takes is heat, not a 110v mig. a good 150 amp 220v wire feed will melt it in perfectly. use .030 wire. i cant see it distorting its a huge round piece.

i even tried to ruin one once. i broke a a-arm in the 510 and then decided to weld on it for practice. i heated it up till it was glowing red and i still didnt ruin the bearings.

so i cant see a little welding for brackets doing any harm.

oh and i didnt get any other email ...

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

• 2 weeks later...