HybridZ

Tuning Stock 82 N/A

eec564

My completely stock 82 non-turbo 5spd is getting crummy mpg, namely 15 city 17 highway. My smog reports (stupid CA laws) say I'm running borderline ritch and barely passing. Until I have the time to do a full engine rebuild and turbo swap with megasquirt, I'd just like to tune for better milage. Adjusting the AFM seems like the best thing to do, with a wideband o2 sensor. While 200$ for the LC-1 kit is cheap, I was wondering if anyone knew a more cost-effective (aka cheaper) way to get a wideband. Also, if anyone had any AFR or general tuning tips, they'd be appreciated. Thanks. -Eric

I've changed the oil, filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, wires are good, distributer cap, rotor, checked all sensors for correct resistance values, the entire wiring harness is in perfect shape, and it has a new (stock bosch , narrow band) o2 sensor. But it's still getting crap milage, and might even miss once in a while due to being so rich, according to what my smog report says. Think it would be worth it to swap to a 3.54 R200 rear end? It's got a 3.9 R200 (stock) right now. That's a direct bolt-up, right? -Eric

Yea, I can try cleaning the injectors. I know none are leaking (when off) as I checked fuel pressure, and when I shut off the engine it holds pressure indefinately. I'll pull them out this weekend and find a local shop to backflush and clean, maybe a flowtest too. Or would I be better off running a high concentration of injector cleaner through, on a nearly empty tank, then filling up and driving a while more so the high concentration isn't sitting in my lines? -Eric

I think it's better to have the injectors properly serviced. They use an ultrasonic tank to clean injectors. After the injectors are cleaned/flow tested, then make sure ALL electrical connections are clean.

I can email you the 280Z fuel injection book(77 pages) and a diagram a member drew that tells you how to make the engine run richer/leaner by adjusting the AFM. Just pm me your email address.