HybridZ

5.0 V8 swap Z31

For those who have done this before, I had a couple of questions. After reading all the stories of the V8 motors and how fast everyone runs, and how much it costs to purchase and install the turbo equipment...

I wanted to consider a small block v8 from ford. 289 or 302. A junk yard motor, pull it and have me and my son work on it together. I have a Nissan 5 speed, from an 84 300zx to swap into my Z. Its the FS5W71C. What I was thinking was this.

1. Has anyone ever attached a V8 to this tranny? Im not looking for a ton of horsepower, mostly like 200 or 225 range would be fine with me.

2. Can someone recommend a motor out of a certain car that would offer the easiest effort to swap? I could then wait for 1/2 price days at the picknpull.

3. The Z31 already has a cowl hood shape, so I dont expect it to be a problem with height limitations. Is there a particular store that sells the motor mount brackets?

4. How hard would you consider the electronics part of the swap to deal with? I want to go carburated to make things simple.

5. I was underneath my car the other day, I didnt see alot of room for dual exhaust on the passenger side? any recommendations on that?

I already have the electric cooling setup with the Taurus fan.

I wish someone would post a "how to" to get things rolling for us in the Z31 generation.

Thanks for your time.

OK I did some googling, and I see that the 289 is a longshot to get and wouldnt be cheap. I think this summer I am going to look for a mid 80s crown vic or conty and see if I can get it cheap. Pull the engine and its accessories, and have someone tow the car away. I read that the early 80's conty had throttle body injection. Would that be easier then a carb setup?

As far as I know, there are no Z31 / SBF swaps (I could be wrong)... as far as crossmembers / motor mounts, no one makes them that I know of either. The engine bay on the Z31 is smaller than even the 280ZX bay - so I'm not sure how it would fit. The engine is a little narrower and slightly longer than a SBC, so length and height will be the biggest hurdles to overcome.

For mounting the trans - find a SBF with a T-5 already with it. the stock 5-speed would take a bunch of mods to make it fit (adapter plate, etc) plus would not be up to the task Torque-wise. The 3.0 Z motor doesn't make a ton of torque, while the SBF makes over 250 lb-ft in stock form. This would shred the 5-speed quick. Even the T-5 they put behind the 5.0 motors doesn't handle much over 300 lb-ft very long. There's always the WC T-5 which is rated for 325 lb-ft (If I remember right), but that's not much of a step up. if you're just going to drive the car around and have fun the stock T-5 would be fine. Remember though, that going with a carb changes the output of a stock 86-93 SBF from 225 hp to around 255-260 (with a dual-plane intake and 600 CFM carb, the stock EFI intake is VERY restrictive) so you're starting with a medium strong engine from the get-go.

If you do wind up doing the swap, post pics and info here so others can benefit. Keeps people from making the same mistakes others have already made!!

If I am understanding correctly, the T5 also came in the 300zx. Would Nissan have made different driveshafts for the 3 different transmissions they used? I am wondering if I could reuse my current driveshaft? Yeah it would be a daily driver, just around town, no racing other then to get to work. I now figure based on what you said, I am kind of limited in my search for a donor vehicle since I think on the Mustang or a pickup might have had the 5spd and the 302.

(Now I am looking at more $ for parts...:( )

Length considerations I dont think will be a problem as with my current setup, and no stock fan, I believe i have about 10" to 1 foot of space before you hit the frame. It looks like I will try and reuse my original cross member and have someone fab the motor mounts? I did read in '85 ford beefed up some internals on the 302 which increased the HP. So I want to go with a 2 barrel as I would prefer gas mileage over extra HP. Mostly stock equipment, manifolds, etc to keep cost down.