HybridZ

I want my merit badge!

Guest tony78_280z

Guest tony78_280z

Spindle pins are out. :flamedevi

I was just gonna take them to a shop and have them pressed out. Rumor has it a 4x4 shop can do this. But I gave it a shot. My hammer swinging arm is exhausted, but they came out. Neather will be reusable as I smashed the threads all to hell. I already ordered new ones from NISSAN (65.00). I gotta get the metal sleaves out of the control arms and then the rearend will be completely dis assembled. But I'm exhausted for the day!

Realy, it wasn't all that hard. Putting a tranny in by myself was alot more difficult.

I Soaked it a few times with 3in1 penetrating oil (I got 2 cans as a promo from Branson Z fest) And then put the propane torch on it for about an hour (each pin, two hours total). 15 minutes on each end of the pin, and then 15 minutes on each crack/joint where the pin was visible. Beat it with a hammer for forever, and they came out.

If I ever total my Z, I'll part it out. Say 250.00 for a pair of rear control arms with new bushings and spindle pins! :mrgreen:

Guest tony78_280z
how long did it take you?

$65 new spindle pins + time

$70 spindle pin tool and reuse spindle pins + 1/2 hr pulling both out.

:wink:

Well it took about 2 hours to cook the pins' date=' but I found other things to be doing while the torch burned away on them. I pounded them out [b']fairly[/b] quickly. My arm will be paying for it tomarrow I bet.

I heard too many stories about pins not being reuseable after pulling. Even with the tool. I figured screw it.

Guest tony78_280z

Spindle Pins

Screw removing these things. Putting the new ones in was twice as hard. Getting the new bushing control arms to line up with that pin hole, on both ends was a PITA! Then I had to hammer the new spindle pin in without damaging the threads. Then I get to lift the heavy *** contration control arms springs and strut assembly into the car to bolt it all up at once. Not an easy chore for one guy with no helper.

A project ended

But It is done. Front and rear end is reassembled. I finished today, in the rain. I only took it for a quick test run, not too far as my headlights have quit working (damn electrical gremlins). But it feels great!

Problems & Situations with the rear

(Not nearly as bad as the front.) Read about my front suspension problems and compare.

1. Found my original gland nut (I thought I lost it while doing the front suspension) Thanks BillZ260 anyhow.
  2. When Energy Suspension finally sent me my rear bump stops, the sent me 6 of them. This is enough bump stops for an entire car, and the front uses the same part number as the rear. Anybody need bump stops?
  3. I ordered my spindle pins from NISSAN. A week later I show up to pick them up. And the parts guy had ordered end links. He couldn't figure out what I was talkin about, so he printed out a picture from his computer. Oddly it was the same diagram that Black Dragon Auto uses. He asks, "Can you identify the part you need from this diagram." "Nope," I promptly reply. "That is the front suspension, bring me a picture of the rear suspension." I reseisted rolling my eyes. That set me back a week.
  4. Had to work around wifes schedule.
  5. Had to buy another spring compressor as I broke mine.
  6. One of the half shafts bolts were all siezed, I had to cook them with propane for 10 minutes each (8 in total) to break them loose.
  7. Figured out why my brakes weren't working worth a crap. Seems my adjuster was rusted solid. I broke it loose with 3in1 and relubed it real good. It gets some action now. I'm still having issues with the drivers side, but at least I know what is going on.

Unexpected costs

1 whole bar of Lava soap. Several days of getting greasy

2 cans of 3in1 penetrating oil

1 can of liquid wrench

1 can of silicone spray lube

1/2 can of bearing grease

2 sets of spring compressors (broke one see above)

2 jugs of diff oil

I'm definatly glad I'm done. I don't think I'll do it again.

Congrats!!!

But dude, 4X4 shop is still the way to go (for me anyways ;)

To do mine it cost me a case, 3 gallons, of Tection Diesel oil (Castrol Brand who I work for so cost was ZERO!!!!)

Glad to hear you got er done. Feels good huh.