HybridZ

Easiest way to prep?

Guest TegRacer324

Guest TegRacer324

Alright this isn't for my Z, but I just got a new door and fender for my integra which was hit by a deer earlier in the year. I plan on getting the whole car painted again fixing all the dents and crap on it. What would be easier to prep the door and fender off the car or to put it on and prep it? Also should I take the door to get the jam painted first or just put it on with the rest of the car?

Guest TegRacer324

No I was serious it ran into the side of the goddamn car. It's happened to my twice now. I just want the jam of the new door painted since it's green I don't really care about the door jam on the car or the other door.

Guest Heuristicism

Teg- I hear you. I have a friend which had the same thing happen to him. too funny. But in his case, it broken the side window, crushed the fender and door.

I would paint/prep the items while they are off the car. Paint and prep will be easiest this way. Do both now, as It might be awhile before you can get it into the shop. I have seen excellent results with duplicolor (rattle can paint and topcoat) with alot of prep, patience, and hardwork. This would realistically cost under $30. If I was you this would be the route, as it sounds like you do not have air tools. Be very careful when you re-install.

If you are going to get your car painted (with bodywork) down the road they can redo the fender (etc) as paint matching probably will be required.

Last week I was following an old Toyota Terdcel at about 45mph on a backroad and a huge deer jumped out over the white line about 2 feet in front of the Toyota. It slammed into the windshield, deflecting the deer about 20 feet into the air which was spinning like a frisbee. It glided about 75 feet through the air and landed in a pile of dirt on the other bank of the road. It tried to get up to run but it was pretty much paralyzed. I was very disturbed by the whole thing. The lady in the Terdcell was fine. The windshield was smashed.

Deer just jump on reflex. They don't have any sense of timing at all.

Guest turdbo

not really that uncommon...i took my dirtbikes down to west virginia..seen a couple deer in the corner of my eye didnt think anything about them...next thing i know im on the ground..deer is climbing out of a mudd hole and runs off...i stop when ever i see them know their crazy animals ...anyway paint the door and fender while its on the car because if the paint has faded a little bit you could fade the new paint into the old paint..if not you might be able to tell you painted them off of the car..but then again it depends

Crazy stuff.

For body filling, have the door on the car, so you have reffereces to having everything even, then when you actually have it painted, have it off the car but have it shot at the same session. color matching is a pain.