HybridZ

Turbo header, worth the time?

280 Tuner

I recently bought that equal length manifold that was on ebay. I had planned on being able to just bolt this up with a little fabrication, it does bolt right up to the head, but the dp will be tricky so I'm not so sure if I want to go ahead and finish this project up. I would have liked to have just gotten an SFP manifold and bolted that right up, but I couldn't find any at all for sale. So does anyone still have an SFP they would like to trade for this one, I don't think I have the skill to finish this. Has anyone gotten an equal length manifold up and running on a single turbo L28, I would like to see some pictures if anyone has. Here is how it looks so far.

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=7600&cat=500&ppuser=13273

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=7599&cat=500&ppuser=13273

Wow, that down pipe is gonna have to be a lot shorter.

I wonder if you can cut the exhaust flange off the header, rotate it 30 deg. so the turbo is already facing the exhaust side down when it comes out?

That would make your downpipe a little "straighter" shot out of the turbine and would probably help with the compressor side clearing the steering.

You'd have to figure out if you have enough clearance for the intake tubing on the compressor housing since it'll be pointing up 30 degrees.

The compressor side output should be a little easier angle though... hmmm...

I'd start with the header flange. The beauty of metal is, you can always replace it if it doesn't work out right the first time... ;)

Good luck.

Looks to me like the guy got carried away working on the tubes and forgot about adding a down pipe. That last pipe looks like it would block any hope of making a real downpipe from the angle that I see in the pic.

On second thought. Looks like a P.O.S. and needs to be boxed up and sent to me for proper disposal. J/K LOL

I'm sure it can be made to work but, it's going to be just that...WORK...

Not particularly useful to you I know, but:

enginebay-gt35_141.jpg

I also brought the manifold pre-fabricated and I also had all sorts of issues getting the wastegate to fit. Dump pipe was relatively easy if a little finiky.

Stick with it, you will appreciate it in the end. That thing will support substantially more hp than 90% of manifolds out there.

Dave

Guest 280ZForce

remove your dp...bolt your T04S up and snap some pics for us to see. and to also check any other clearance issues, so you really know what you have to work with.

it does seem by pics alone that the #6 tube is in the way of where the dp would be. I questioned the guy who sold it on ebay about that, but he couldn't give me an honest answer because he never used it. Go figure!

but definately keep it and keep your options open on how can modify it to work if there is problems.

Just a thought but, that # 6 runner may have to be cut off and redone to make more room. Also while your at it you might rethink that wastegate runner. Seems like it's way to long and could cause proublems with boost control. Anybody, else think the same thing about this?

I love the header but, it needs a little more time and thought to make it a usable part.

Well, it looks like I'm going to keep it, right now I'm looking at collecting all the tubes and using a runner to move the turbo closer to the front of the car. This will give me a lot more flexibility with the downpipe and will make the engine bay more unique. Anyone have an opinion as to what size tube I should use to accomplish this, I would put it kind of like J Taylor did on his RB Z, just lower of course. Would this hurt performance to use that much tube before the turbo? I will get some more pictures up once I decide what to do with this, but it might be a little while before I get some more up though, I still need to get my turbo shipped out to me and then I can figure out how much clearance I need.

IMHO, unless you are looking to make well over 400hp, your money is better spent on other things like a top-notch turbo, DP/exhaust, I/C, engine management, ported heads, alky injection system, drag radials. You can go a long way with the stock exhaust manifolds if the rest of the components are up to snuff.

• 2 weeks later...

I have posted this for sale in the classifieds. I don't have enough time to get my car running and reliable to finish this project. I'm leaving for college 1500 miles away and I have to have this ready to go with me. I will have enough to troubleshoot in the next couple months without this project on my hands. And I also have to get my friends z up and running before I leave. I'm flexible as far as price and payment are concerned and I'll trade for the right thing. I'm not looking to get a profit on this purchase I just need the money to get other stuff for my car plus all the little things that like to pop up. This should be a rather small project for an experienced fabricator, but for me it would take far too long.