HybridZ

Silicone Intercooler Hose

I'm shopping for silicone hose for my intercooler install and I've noticed that it is available in either 3 or 4 ply. Is 3 ply silicone adequate for moderate (10 - 15 psi) boost levels?

Should I be concerned about the temperature ratings? The 3 ply hose I'm looking at is rated at -65 to 350 degrees, the 4 ply up to 650 degrees.

I also plan on using aluminum pipe for bends and straight sections. Should I be concerned with the thickness of aluminun pipe? Is 2 mm adequate?

Anyone have experience or opinions on this vendors universal kit?

Ebay Hose

Thanks,

Guest 280ZForce

exactly what cody said...u want to use as few as possible.

I'm only using 4 couplers in my ic piping setup (the bare minimum)...1 on each end tank of the IC, 1 on the TB and 1 on the Turbo (compressor outlet). a 5th one is used, but it's for the air filter attached to the turbo.

I've done the 8 million connectors thing and it's really frustrating with all the leaks and nothing seems to ever fit right. Make sure you use good clamps if you go this route.

I personally use 6 couplers in my system and that's only because I couldn't do it with less and make it servicable.

My first welded system was some pipe that I cut up and duct taped together and had welded up at the muffler shop. Worked reasonably well and was so much better than the system with all the couplers.

The kit for sale on Ebay includes 16 T-bolt clamps. My intercooler inlet and outlets are 2.75, so I will start with two reducers from the intercooler, a coupler off of the throttle body and one off of the J-pipe. I also have a 2.25 HKS BOV flange wich is already welded to a length of 2.25 pipe, so I'll need two straight couplers there. I realize that I need a couple of hump couplers somewhere also, maybe the BOV pipe will be a good place for one of them. The rest hopefully will be welded. So......any opinions on the quality of the couplers, pipe and clamps in the Ebay ad?? I would like to buy the matching additional parts from the same vendor, so your opinions on 3 versus 4 ply and 2mm pipe are important.

Thanks again!!

The 3 ply will be fine unless it has an unattrative finish then it's just personal taste. The pipe thickness sounds fine aslo but, don't let it rub against anything steel or a hole will get worn thru it eventually. Just be careful on how you route the pipes and if it's real close then put something over that spot to protect it.