HybridZ

position of front wheels

Hey Guys, I have a 71 and 72 240 and both have the right front wheel about 3/8 of an inch ahead of the left. My right front tire just touches my air dam and the left clears it by 1/4 inch or more.I have measured both cars from several points on the body and they are the same . anyone have any idea what the reason is for this. Neither of these cars has been wrecked .

Thanks,

Dennis http://comunities.msn.com/ZCarFamilyFun/

Have you ever had a true 4 wheel alignment done on this car while you have owned it? It could be body, frame alignment, or bent steering parts from previous owners. A 4 wheel alignment with the SAI, IA, and thrust angles being measured and recorded should give you an idea of where to start looking. Hope this helps!

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

Drewz

This question can up a while back on the mailing list. I went through my 'archives', and found this response from Carl Beck(reprinted without permission smile.gif ):

>Hello everyone, (the car is a 71 240)

>

>I was wondering if someone could shed a little light on my reconstruction and

>fine tuning of my front suspension.

>....{snipped..cjb}....

>There is a half an inch difference between the the left and right sides. With

>the driver side being further forward. This is cleary visible by looking at

>the tire in relation to the fender wheel opening. The wheel doesnt "look"

>centered in the wheelwell. In addition the car turns in better to the left

>than to the right. And when ya look down at the drivers side tie rod from

>directly overhead it is angled forward compared to the other side which looks

>to be going straight out.

>

>Ok heres my quiery, should I bring the driver's side back to being even with

>the passenger side, or vice versa?

Hi John (everyone):

From many many years ago - as I understand it - the difference between the

right and left wheel is factory stock, original and intentional. Don't

change it.

Having the two front wheels off-set front to rear, aids in directional

stability and steering response. I don't claim to understand exactally why

- but that was the word from the Factory Service Rep when we ask him in

We also noted at the time that we could find nothing in the Factory Service

Manuals that specified this right side to left side difference.

[This message has been edited by TimZ (edited January 21, 2001).]

this does not make sense to me. How would staggereing the distance L/R between wheels make for better stability? You would htink that making the centers of the hubs exactly on the same line would make rolling resistance even side to side so the car would go straight! I have never noticed this, but you better bet that I will now look at it!!!! Never heard of this before. What's your opinion, Pete?

AL

------------------

http://zcar.netdojo.com

I have a friend that's an expert in Chaos Theory (nothing to do with Get Smart wink.gif ), but I don't think that's needed here.

I'd think the reason for this would be to keep the front end from "searching" for an equilibrium in left/right wander due to time-varying drag of the tires, wheel bearings, brakes, etc. Things aren't static as you drive straight, so maybe it won't wonder as much if the wheels are staggered and the drag on each side varies a bit.

Talk about a SWAG!...

I don't know, I thought it would be more even if they were in the same line, so that if there was changing forces, they would even out side to side. But you never know. All I can think of is that there is some basic design flaw that they haven't advertised, and this is compensating for it. It's the only thing I can come up with.

AL

------------------

http://zcar.netdojo.com

Guest Anonymous

Having the wheels offset front/rear on each side can slightly improve some suspension dynamics.

I dunno if it's true, but a common problem on Z31s is to put the struts back in the car on the wrong side! This makes the front wheels sit 2 inches farther back in the wheel wells - they rub while turning and whatnot. Also places the brakes upside down and whatnot. Don't laugh, people do it all the time!

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Here is the way I understand all this. The rear has a stagger built in to help with the suspensions movement under load. The front should not have that much of a difference. I have some of the factory specs. from datsun and having a bit of difference is not a big deal but what you describe is too much. the angles we seem to be discussing is the steering axis inclination, included angle, toe out on turns,as well as thrust angle. All of these are out to lunch if the difference on the front or rear is too great. Things have to be close to square with a minor exception on the right rear. Just so everyone knows I am an ASE certified mechanic with credentials in steering, brakes. Not tooting my horn just letting you know I have some understanding. Just my 0.02 cents. If someone needs some specs. u can email me. Good luck!!

------------------

The only stupid question is one you wanted to ask but never did!!!

Drewz