HybridZ

Need Help on wide 17in wheels ...Please

Hey guys...let me first say i have done lots and lots of searching before asking about this. I'm trying to find some wheels for my ls1 240z...I plan on going 17in by 9.5,10, or 10.5. This car is going to be a street car mainly and may be up the occasional track day. The z will have zg flares installed with a 10in ground control coilover. I think i like NAZARs centerlines which are 9.5s front and rear.... ON3GOs ccw wheels on the hulk also look great, which i read are 10.5 on the rear. Does anyone know if these two example have clearence issues with the flares they use? Please make reccomdations...the only thing i ask, is that i dont have to have to run wheel spacers...i did this on my 280z and it didnt work out like i had planned for. I also have the toyota calipers on the front and might move up to the 12 or 13 in rotors w bigger calipers at some time. I also use oem 4 lug hubs...Anyone with experience please share so i dont make a costly mistake, i would be open to any style wheel as long as it is a 17x9.5 plus...please foward this to anyone that you think might have some advise....thanks

Guest JAMIE T

Depending on the back space they'll work fine. I have 18x9.5's on all four corners. They have a 5.5" backspace. The front fits perfectly in the fender under ZG's but the back will likely need a spacer to push it out slightly(for my tastes anyway). It's tucked up under the flare a good amount. More than I like. It'd be great if you wanted to slam it on the ground. I am about to install ZG's on another car and will try to post pics when I get them done.

Depending on the back space they'll work fine. I have 18x9.5's on all four corners. They have a 5.5" backspace. The front fits perfectly in the fender under ZG's but the back will likely need a spacer to push it out slightly(for my tastes anyway). It's tucked up under the flare a good amount. More than I like. It'd be great if you wanted to slam it on the ground. I am about to install ZG's on another car and will try to post pics when I get them done.

Can we see pictures of that? 18x9.5s on all 4 Corners. I was looking towards some aftermarket 350z wheels. That were 18x9 and 18x10s I think with Coilover and some adapters I could get them to fit.

i am getting ready to do the same thing. i am going to mock up my flairs to cliftons silver car to get the back space right for a set of ccw 17" x 10" in front and 11" in the rear with the azcar suspension and 5 lug brake conversion. should look mean as hell.

jim

I have look at every wheel and tire combination on the market. If you are looking at more of race/street wheel (custom size, offset and backspace) prepare to spend some money: Simmons Wheels, Kodiak , Complete Custom wheel, Bogart, Kinesis, Jonbloed and RS Watanabe (spelling?) Racing Panasports. With these wheels prepare for a wait time to build. In your Billet- there is Budnik, Billet Specialties, Bonspeed and Intro Wheels-there are some other billet wheels out there, but you are limited to bolt pattern and offset/backspace. Check out Image wheels in the United Kingdom, they will make any bolt pattern or offset you desire, and they have vintage to modern choices of wheels.

Guest JAMIE T

MKsZGflare-2.jpg

My wheels on Mikelly's car.

It looks just like my car, for now! I just cut his fenders for the flares and welded the seam. The wheels are Centerline Meteors. Mike will be going with CCW or something racer-like like that.

Guest JAMIE T

Forgot to add this car uses Coilovers and a 5/8" spacer I believe. I think the wheel will just barely fit without the spacer but coilvers are a MUST. Also the tires are 275/35/18 BFG Drag Radials. The wheel is a 18x9.5.

Guest JAMIE T

I'm pretty sure they fit without the spacer. Probably a 9" with a 5" BS would put the wheel in the same location and would not require a spacer to push it to the edge like this shows. The drag wheels I'm going to go are 15x10 and will have a 5.5" BS and I'm expecting them to fit without a spacer. At least I hope. LOL

I'm not sure exactly which set-up he's using. I'm pretty sure it's stock hubs re-drilled with a Z31 rear rotor but that's all I know. Like I said, this is not my car, I just stuck my wheels on for pics for you guys. I was doing the flares anyway and figured what the heck!

P1010005.JPG

17x9.5 all around, 275/40/17 rear, 255/40/17 front

5" bs all around, makes for a nice lip

Front with no spacers actually cleares the fender if you flare it slightly and roll the lip

The rear sticks out because of the bigger tire, a ZG flare should swallow it up, i will be getting the MSA street flare all around, and push the front wheels out some with spacers if need be to fill out the flare

You will need coilovers all around, althought my fronts actually clear the strut barely if you slightly grind down the bottom cup of the strut