HybridZ

welding stainless to other metal

Hello,

I'm in process of welding my exhaust up. I got a question, can you weld stainless to other metals? My exhuast is stainless and my Y-pipe is steel (alum coating).

Can these to metal be welded together or will I need to us clamps?

I did a test weld and it just didnt look right.

Any infor would be great.

Thanks

Adam

You can weld some stainless steels to:

1. Low, medium, and high carbon steel.

2. Nickel steel.

3. Copper.

To weld ferritic (some 400 series) or austentic (300 series) stainless to mild steel use 309 or 312 filler.

Just on thing, if you weld steel to stainless, buy an small 2-5 pds stainless wire, this way it'll keep the weld itself to rust, it'll last longer that way.

You say you have aluma-coat steel to weld, sand down at least an inch of the coating fromeach side of the jointe as it produces very toxic fumes when it burns, a bit like galvanized (zinc coating) steel.

• 2 weeks later...

You can weld stainless to mild steel quite easily, just use stainless wire, and you need to back purge, or more easily use some Solar flux B it is a ceramic dust that you mix with isopropl alchohol into a paste then you coat the back side of the weld area with it. It does the same thing as back purging, and is much easier. This helps to prevent burn though and also keeps the back of the weld from getting contaminated (the stainless will crystalize with black noogies) and causing a weak weld. you can get a 1 pound can from Burns stainless it works really well.

Chris Rummel