HybridZ

Drilling a vent hole in the MBC

so i am having some overboost issues and I have a manual ball and spring boost controller...

I have it as loose as I can, and I am still hitting 19psi + with my Holset HY35W..

If I recall reading bastaads older posts... should I drill a small vent hole on the MBC? if so.. where would be an ideal spot?

This is the boost controller I have

xzkit.jpg

Drill the tiny hole in the line that goes to the actuator. I drilled it in the hex of the barbed fitting. Use a very small bit. Maybe 1/64" to start.

On your photo. The barb fitting on the right gets drilled.

To calibrate it, hook a bike pump or compressor and a gauge to the bottom fitting and set the knob to whatever cracking psi you want. Just listen for air opening the ball valve.

The hole is to prevent pressure being trapped between the MBC and the wastegate actuator, holding it open and slowing boost response. If you're experiencing boost spikes, drilling that hole won't help. If anything, it will make it worse. Are you sure the MBC is the problem? What happens if you bypass it?

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Boost spikes can be caused by:

-A tight actuator or wastegate.

-A restrictive hose/fitting in the line to the actuator.

-Too long of a hose leading to the actuator.

-Too small of a wastegate.

-Sticking BOV if it holds open a little and then snaps shut...like mine did.

BTW, you DO need that vent hole no matter what or the wastegate will stay open.

Drilling a vent hole in the mbc will not fix a overboost/boost creep problem. It will fix a boost spike or boost drop but not boost creep. Your boost creep is the same problem 73turbo240z and I had. The wastegate isn't flowing enough air to lower the boost. Remember this turbo was used on a 5.9l I6 running at 18psi stock. I ported the wastegate just about to the max. I don't know if you can port it more. Your only two choices is try to port it more or go external. Its weird that it was ok on my car and its creeping on yours. The either means your engine is flowing less air than mine, your exhaust is more free flowing, or your engine is burning more exhaust from a more efficient burn than mine. What exhaust are you running right now?

I am running a full 3" exhuast.. no pre muffler or resonator.. just an Apexi N1 muffler..

the way my boost is being handled right now is 10psi in 1st gear, 15-20psi in 2nd and shoots to 20psi + in 3rd, 4th, 5th....

the wastegate is the stock internal wastegate on the Holset turbo.. and the wastegate actuator is the stock 280zx turbo actuator... i'll try running it without the boost controller and see what happens...

Fortunatly I have overboost protection on megasquirt right now.. so it cuts fuel and spark at 17.5psi ... but I hate doin that to my engine

Your wastegate is not opening quick enough or it's not flowing enough. It's that simple. I wish there was more I could say but that's it. Tripple check that your actuator is in healthy shape. You might want a larger actuator.

I totally removed the MBC from the system and am running 5psi and it stays at 5psi.. no spikes..

then the mbc is on.. loose or tight ant 20psi again

bco5large.jpg

I have searched all over and no one has given me a good answer..

I know the MBC needs to be hookd up properly.. but even the Joe MBC has no instructions to check..

Does the bottom fitting one go to the wastegate or vacuum/boost source? LoL thanks guys

Im willing to bet.. the MBC is on backwards

I gave you very good advice...did you try it?

Bicycle pump or compressor and a gauge to make sure the valve is opening at the set pressure. Hook up a peice of hose with a gauge to the source (bottom fitting) and pump to 15psi (or whatever) and it should start bleeding out the other side.

Where are you connecting for boost source? Mine connects right on the exit of the compressor for the fastest response.

Also push a little stick inside the bottom fitting and push up gently to open the ball. Blow into the other side fittng to make sure you are getting flow when the ball unseats.

If you dont understand how it works...read here and look at the diagrams. http://www.well.com/~mosk/boost.htm

haha, those joe mama MBC suck :) , I have one on my talon and then ball slipped by the spring and shut the output side permanently, had to take it apart and put the ball back in the correct place. I kept adjusting and adjusting and guess what, always too much boost, until I fixed the ball. Verify the ball is working correctly like the others say and use a compressor or something.

you guys have given me SUPERB advice...

ughmm.. but one problem.. I had the boost controller on *cough* BACKWARDS *cough* ..

I know stupid stupid move.. but its so easy to mix up..

Im going to pick up some more vacuum lines in a few minutes .. the battery stopped holding charge :(