HybridZ

Dash Lights On, Help!

george.bryant

In my r30 skyline. i was driving along the other night and randomly the following lights came on and occacionaly flick off for a second but then come back on.

If the car is under 1000rpm they dont come on, they once I rev it they come on and stay on. Sometimes go off for a sec when i stop or turn.

The lights are:

Door open Light, Coolant Overflow bottle light, Fog lights light, Window washer light, fuel light, and the spare tire light which is not on the dash but next to the interior lights on the roof.

PLEASE HELP!

From George

Get a wiring diagram. If all of these lights are coming on simultaniously then there is something in common feeding all of them. I know that sounds over simplified but it follows logical analytical troubleshooting. Maybe it is as simple as loose or shorted wire in the dash harness. If it is a short be glad it is going through a load (the lights) and not straight to ground. Maybe there's a problem with the tach that's causing this??? I'm assuming the car runs fine since you've not mentioned any other problems.

Guest ZFury

I have the same problem with my ZX. It is not the alternator. My guess is something is wrong in the dash wiring. Everything is clustered together in the dash face. When the volt out put from the alternator goes up the lights turn on. Weird, almost as if someone put in some volt varrying switch thingy. (I have something similar in my computer, except it is triggered by bass frequencys.) There should be no place in the wiring where the dash warning lights cross. Though if their were, it would be in the dash cluster its self.

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds like the ECU may be getting thrown into POST (power on self test) mode. When you first turn on the car, before you start it, all those lights you mention should light up, to verify the bulbs are good. Stalling the car or bringing it below a certain rpm can do that in some cars, as can fluxuating voltage. Use a high quality volt meter with a fairly fast update rate and watch your electricle system's voltage while driving. It could be many, many things causing it, from shorted wires, alternator, battery, ignition, ECU, relays, ignition switch, who knows what all.

Let me know if this helps.

-Eric

All is sorted!

Ok I got another alternator to put in and I installed it. Started the vehicle and the lights were still on...

So I went back and looked at the wiring and I saw that the wire going from the alternator to the starter motor was half melted and had soldered itself together to the crimps and the wire was corroded green. So I replaced that and everything is fine now.

So maybe all along the problem was just that wire...