HybridZ

Rear end suggestions for one of my project cars - Triumph Spitfire

I've got a bit of a situation. I have this car : spitfiregood.jpg (1968 triumph spitfire)

with this engine going into it (nissan KA24de , fully built with Holset hx35 turbo) :

IMG_1301.JPG

The problem is...the stock rear end sucks. I'd ideally like to elimnate the transverse leaf spring setup, convert to coilovers, and a stronger diff. I'd also like to throw something with a double wishbone suspension in there. I've toyed around with the idea of throwing in a miata subframe with lsd (8 inches wider track then stock) , or the heavy JAG irs. Last week on CL, there was a 74 spit that had a 280Z rear end swapped into it. What do you guys think as something that't not going to be horrendously expensive? I've already accepted the fact that this is an expensive endeavor, but i dont want it to cost any more than it has to. thanks for the input.

When I was looking for a rear end conversion for the Opel GT (also a very narrow car), there were very few options, but the mid 80s BWM 3 series was one of them. Might be worth a look. There were some good ratios and also some had LSD from the factory, and rear disk brakes.

Tim

May be a little extreme but if you plan on turning up the wick on that "fully built" KA24, you want something that can hold up. Because of the Jag design, it is fairly easy to modify for the narrow Spit. This is a GT6 and should give you a great idea of what it would look like. I have more pics if want them.

JagFrame1_thumb.JPG

WholeFrame_thumb.JPG

Scottie,

Those pics look pretty sweet. Id be interested in more pictures and any build details! Also, who made that lower control arm in the front pic? Was this your car? With that t56 in there, the shifter must be almost behind the driver seat!

My only concern about the jag irs is the weight, but i do like the adaptability of it.

My built KA is expected to put out about 400-ish horsepower.

Tim - Are you interested in letting me help you clean out your garage?

zlalomz, - yes, i'm well aware of the GRM build. They did a good job, and i may end up using something similar to their design. There was also a guy by the name of Ric Gibson who had a single turbo rotary putting in excesss of 400 hp to the wheels in his spit, but his site has strangely disappeared.

Email me with your address and I will send you what I have. Seems I have exceeded the limit on pics I can post on the forum. Anyone know how I can see all I have and clean them up?

Yes, the Jag IRS will add extra weight but in the right location and probably will cost you what, 10hp, over another beefier IRS? Those of you that have had to pull out and handle a Z IRS especially with the R200 know what I mean. I had to ship one :eek: With 400+hp its probably a nit.

It is not my car but belongs to someone on the Turbo buick board. Have not communicated with him in quite a while but sure I could track him down. Yes, that's a T56 behind a Turbo'd Buick.