HybridZ

Just interested .. Hydrolic or Electric paddle shifters

proxlamus©

I was curious if any of you guys knew about the paddle shifters similar to the new Ferrari's, Lambo's, World Rally Championship cars, Formula One cars, etc

then if I could apply this to a Z .. now this is just an idea.. I know this would cost like $3,000 + but its an interesting concept..

Now does this consist of a sequential transmission and hydraulic valves mounted on the transmission to the paddle shifter?

Or are paddles typically purely electric, and then fire up a hydraulic actuator?

or is it purely electric?

Anyway.. i figured for a pure race bred Z (someday i might consider building one many years out) could this type of system be imposed?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission i found some info on this site.. actually alot after i posted this thread.. but i was hoping guys with experience could chime in

There are quite a few different setups really. You can have the fake setup which is just an auto tranny and using the the paddles to shift it instead of the gear lever. This would be similar to most "semi-auto" transmission these days with the +/- shifting.

The next setup would be like the Toyota MR2 Spyder with the 6-speed. They actually use a real 6-speed manual transmission with the standard clutch, pressure plate, and everything however... its all computer controlled. You can use either the +/- on the shifter or the buttons on the steering wheel. I've read that this setup actually rivals some of Ferrari's own street car setups. The only downside to Toyota's setup is it shifts kind of slow and no one has been able to crank the control box's code yet to speed shifts up.

Another, and probably most impressive setup I've seen, utilizes two clutches. You have one clutch on the odd gears (1, 3, 5, etc.) and another on the even (2, 4, 6). When you're in first gear and moving the "odd" clutch is releases to allow you to move in first while the "even" clutch and 2nd gear are both engaged. The instant to press the paddle or button, the "odd" clutch engages and the "even" clutch release simultaneously giving an instantaneous shift. This setup is seen on the Bugatti Veyron 16/4, Chrysler ME412, and I'm sure a few others. Bugatti and Chrysler both boasted complete shifts within 200 milliseconds.

I'm sure there are many other designs, but those are the ones I know for sure off-hand.