HybridZ

fuel pump cutoff as....

J__

Also, you could pull the high tension lead, and take it with you. It is a quick way to render the car useless, unless a thief just happened to carry around an HT lead with them.

I have spliced a quick disconnect into my fuel pump wiring, and it works so well, that sometimes I forget when I disconnect it and freak out for that split second before I figure it out. :)

unless you have a Z with 2 fuel pumps...a mechanical and an electric...it will still run if the electric pump is off. I drove mine with the fuel pump off and it was running really bad and I could not figure it out. When I got home I checked the fuel pump switch and it was off...lol

...an anti-theft device? has anyone done this? im thinking of just attaching a switch to the wires for the fuel pump inside the car. then i can turn in off when parked so no one can steal it?

Ahh yes, the joys of living in Surrey. lol. I just yank the fuse to my ignition coil?

Yup, I've done it. Lots of great spots to mount a switch so that it's in reach of the drivers seat, but not obvious you are flicking a switch. Not going to tell you where mine is though! It's a nice bit of peace of mind, expecially when leaving the car for any extended length of time.

A quick switch flick that is discreet would be better than messing around under the hood... you can do it EVERY time you get out of the car, and even if the thief is watching you he won't see what you are doing. (unlike popping the hood and taking a wire... he could always reconnect the coil and drive away on 5 cylinders if he knew what you were doing)

Just to let you guys know this has been discussed a few times in different threads. But the way I have done this is go to Home Depot and get a small push button toggle switch that toggles each time you push it. I mounted it under the carpet along the seat somewhere (you can pick where to mount yours). If you mount it under the carpet it feels like a slight head of a bolt is under there and you can still push it to toggle it on and off. You could make it almost a fluid motion when you put your seat belt on. This works very well and has been done in many cars. If the car is fuel injected it does not do much. A carburated car will only go a very short distance before it runs out of gas (maybe out of your drive way and one or two drive ways away on a normal street, I have tested this a few times). I car thief actually tried to take one of my Z's like 15 years ago and they got out of the parking space and about 100 feet further and left the car with the door open and an old worn out Z key they used to start it. The old Z keys are one of the most common ways they take these cars.