HybridZ

Turbocharged Intake Manifold metal selection

why not make it all new? 3003-h14 aluminium is fairly easy to weld and is cheap. I would think you would want 1/8" at least which would be .125 inches. A 4'X8' sheet of .125 should be around $110-$130. I bought a sheet of .063 aluminium (1/16") with that same alloy to build my dash and it was $65

Trust me, I know I'm stupid... But is the stock manifold aluminum? Because I thought it was kind of hard/bad to weld the new aluminum your getting to the stock metal runners. Just seems like different metals=different expansion rates= cracking, boost wouldn't be helping this process. The only fabricating experience I have is Lego's, just wondering.

Welding to the cast intake runners is going to be fun..... Just make sure that everything is super clean, and then preheat the cast stuff before welding. Cast aluminum loves to crack during welding, and once it starts to crack you can spend all day chasing them out with a grinder. I'd suggest getting a junk manifold and practicing on that before doing the actual parts.

Mike

plus there is the factor of the sheet metal part of the intake not heating up as fast of the sheet metal part and wanting to blow away the sheet metal. I have welded cast aluminium before...even when I cleaned the poo(aluminium oxide) off it was apain to weld and did not want to wet out. I had to move my puddle with the filler rod. I would suggest that if you are going to design a new plenum just make 6 seperate small flanges and have each runner welded to it.

the stock manifolds weld fine as long as its been cleaned well. Not just with a solvent, you need to remove the outer skin with a grinder/sanding disc.I would use a 5052 h 32 material, Its stronger than 3003 and easyer to form than 6061.I would use a 1/4" thick plate for the connection to the stock runners and 1/8 for the plenum. The thicker stock allows you to open up the hole on the inside and get a decent taper to the runners.Once thats all welded and polished, the plenum can be welded on.

• 4 weeks later...

... THE FIRST STEP.

intakemanifoldstep1001.jpg

cut it with a band saw...pretty straight too.. i was suprised, i've got to file it down just a little to make it completely level.

i cut off the flange for the idle air control valve in case i need that also

i've still got a little clean up to do, and i'm gonna polish the runners on the inside.

and i had an idea too... its not really neccessary, but i thought it'd be cool to grind away the flange and weld the two sections of the runners together...