HybridZ

Does anyone make and sell fiberglass interior panels here?

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

Guest HALLOWEEN Z

I've seen some great custom interior door panels on this site and was wondering if anyone has made them that will duplicate them and be interested in selling? I would like to try it myself but I've tried to make fiberglass parts before and ended up costing a lot in fiberglass and I didn't get the results I wanted. If anyones interested let me know. I don't need a door handle or window crank hole cause of power windows and door poppers just a panel with some kind of an armrest to hold to close the door.

Thanks, Nathan

I'm currently working with a fellow on producing some, but he is having the darndest time getting the top bracket to work in fiberglass. They are not yet near completion, unfortunately. If you want stock panels w/o any speaker provisions, John Washington at Reaction Research sells them. They are pricey.

Davy

• 1 month later...

Why use fibergalss as the base? Much easier to use thin (1/8 to 3/16") sheet plastic as a base and build it up with high density foam that can easily be shaped with an electric carving knife and then sanded smooth. The plastic base can be shaped to match any contours with a heat gun as well.

When I was doing this type of stuff, I would typically use two pieces of HDPE (high density polyethylene) laminated together for the backer board. The first piece would be 1/8" thick and be drilled and countersunk for the retainer clips. The second would be a 1/16" thick skin to prevent the retainer heads from showing through thin foam padding when covered with fabric or vinyl.

http://www.usplastic.com

Fiberglass can still be used to build up speaker pods and the like, but that's another topic of discussion.