HybridZ

Maxima brackets NG!!!!!!!!

Guest scca

hoy cow batman confused.gif

i got the new nissan maxima bracket generously loaned to me yesterday...

it DONT WORK eek.gif with the 5 lug conversion..

all i can figure is the 240sx caliper does not work with this setup,,,

maybe the 82-3 zx caliper is different somehow on the bracket..

has anyone actually used the 240sx caliper with the maxima bracket?

hunting ZX calipers is difficult.... i will see if somehow this a-arm i have here is out of whack but i doubt it.. i have a new 5 lug rotor with a sx caliper and a maxima bracket the offset is about 3/8" NOT ENOUGH!

i can use the measurements off it for the cnc but i want to use sx calipers due to the availability so .......................

i will be making different from the maxima bracket it seems..

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

Guest Anonymous

Mike,

I think the idea of using the 240SX calipers is a good one and your reason is very valid! Do you happen to know what the difference in cost is for rebuilt calipers from the 280ZX and the 240SX? Does the 240SX give any other benefit except that it is a later model?

Thanks,

Craig

THE rebuilt cost is within $20 ..... they are close to $125 ea rebuilt..

but you need cores then too..

the main thing is 240sx are so plentiful you can easily find useable ones used.. so far i havent had to buy even one rebuilt set....

i just look for 92-94 240sx's and those are always in good shape - even after sitting out in the rain at the wrecker..

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Scca, jesus man, just make a bracket for the z32 rear calipers and 87-89 rear rotors like danno has. Add in the tabs for a mechanical parking brake caliper and sell the brackets for $100. I'd buy them in a heartbeat. Everyone needs to quit wasting their breath on the bent brackets made of unobtanium.

------------------

Morgan

http://z31.com/~morgan/s30

http://carfiche.com

Mike,

I do not know if the 240SX brakes are identical to the 82-83 ZX, but in case you are unaware, the caliper must be installed on the Maxima brackets opposite of the ZX. IOW, R-side caliper goes on the left side, etc.

Sometime back I did a brief HOW-TO on installing the late ZX brakes with the Maxima calipers. Here is a URL for the HOW-TO on the Ideal-Z website. It actually has a good pic of the infamous Maxima caliper for those who have never seen one or believe such a thing exists biggrin.gif

http://www.ideal-z.com/howto/rearbrake.htm

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

thats what i think too.. the 280zx (82) caliper must have a different thickness where the caliper mounts to the bracket..

the swap left/right is just for the ebrake cable correct?

afaik.. the caliper brackets are identical only the caliper portion is different.

i'm guessingyou could use the 82 caliper bracket with the 240sx piston assy.. but thats sort of pointless -- unless 82 zx calipers are real easy to locate..

i've got a zx caliper in the shop somewhere i'll find it and compare the 2

Mike

It looks like I will now have rear discs using the '82-'83 ZX calipers and rotors using the retrofit flat bracket after all. The guy built them before I could discuss anything with him. He told me $70 per, which turned out to be $75 per. Total of $162.OUCH!! I'll be picking them up on Friday and hopefully putting my Z back together this weekend, if all my measurements work out.(sounds of chattering teeth and finger nails flying)

SCCA, 3/8" huh. Let me guess. If it was about a 1/4" further back the offset would be right. Is the bolt pattern correct? I'll be testing my measurements when I get the brackets back. If you find out if there is a difference between the calipers from the 240SX and the 280ZX speak up. I know the '81-'83 and possibly newer maxima calipers are identical to the '82-'83 ZX, but I have yet to look at a 200sx or 240sx. I was hoping to do this before these brackets were fabbed.

PS.I still have the autocad drawings and dimensions of this bracket made of unobtanium(so well put Morgan) if it will help with the CNC calculations.

BTW everyone, after looking at all the great cars on this site(and comming home from a friends house tonight), I have finally decided to have a V8! But not anytime soon. I think I'll just enjoy the ride for awhile, while I build the motor. Once I get the ride back together that is.

the bolt pattern on the hub and the caliper hanger are correct..they just need the ears further offset than they are so cutting and welding wont work as there is no steel further back to weld to..

as for calipers i am 99% sure that the maxima (81) is different.. the 82 that i got one bracket off was similar to a ZX would need one here to compare ..

i want easy. that means readily available parts..

and i priced out rebuild calipers.. ZX are almost $40 more rebuilt than 240sx.

the core charges are $75!......

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

Lads,

I was at the wrecking yard yesterday and looked at (4) RWD Maximas. All had

the welded-on rear brake brackets, but I thought I'd post the build dates in

case somebody is compiling a database, we can approximate the cross-over

date. The cars I saw were: 11/82 , 12/83 , 5/84 , 6/84.

Anybody know what size nut is on the end of the stub axle? Just in case I

find a bolted one.....

Well, I also was looking at vented rotors with 4x4.5 bolt circles, and

spotted two Nissan Stanzas with potential, thinking they can be used on the

rear.

One was a 4WD with 9.40" dia. x 1.125 thick with 1.85 backset and 2.625"

centerbore.

The other was FWD with 10.25" dia x .75" thick with 1.125" backset.

I did notice on several FWD Maximas ('85- up?) that the rear caliper bracket

is basically a flat piece of steel with no step to inset the caliper. It

bolts to an early Maxima ('81-'84) caliper, so I am assuming it also bolts

to the good ('82-'83) ZX Caliper. The coolest thing is, with no rear axle

they are a breeze to remove!!

Yours Prowling the yards in central VA,

Mark

Guest Anonymous

Scottie, your price is a great buy. It is only obtainable through the group purchase and because you are gracious enough to do it.

SCCA: I have been watching the brake debate and waiting for someone to offer the new brackets, tell me what caliper to buy, and start taking orders. Put on the ebrake tab and you have a winner! Count me in for a purchase.

My thought on which caliper to use is this: replacement. Perhaps it would be wise to compare the cost of rebuilts for the 240SX and for the 280ZX. The reason is that if I already had a set, I wouldn't go to a junkyard for replacements. I would just go and buy them remanufactured with the warranty. I hate rebuilding calipers myself!

Just my 2 cents.

Craig

How about this - Outlaw 1000 calipers on a custom bracket w/spot calipers for the E-brake? Oh, and I'd like to be able to use an E-brake cable that's obtainable smile.gif

As for the $160 price... for a good rear bracket that didn't require major assembly to install (leave the stub axle in!) and an aluminum caliper to go with an off the shelf rotor (solid is okay) I'd be willing to shell out that cash. I only spec the aluminum caliper because if I've got to go custom I might as well make it look nice. IMO the 4runner calipers look decent but the SX calipers look rough - mine will receive paint for sure!

Bummer that the bracket won't work 5 lug. It works 4lug okay? Heh, redrill the 4lug rotor maybe? smile.gif But then I've already got the rotors and calipers, perhaps it's time to bite the bullet and weld these puppies on...

Here's a pic of the way the 240sx calipers fit with the Maxima bracket: http://zcar.netdojo.com/upload/mvc-086s.jpg

the mounting ears are too wide to fit between the bracket and rotor, as you can see from the pic. Can't even fit them between them at all. Now that sucks.

Oh,and Mike, I found the 280zx calipers for $140 a piece, with a $60 core charge, but since I have the 240sx calipers, don't have to worry about core. I'm going to compare them today after work.

AL

------------------

http://zcar.netdojo.com

[This message has been edited by alsil (edited February 08, 2001).]

Well I have the Jim Cook Racing rear bracket for 79-81 cars and it works well with the 5 lug hub Mike/SCCA uses in his rear 5lug conversion and the Wilwood and presumably outlaw 2 piston caliper. a mechanical e-brake caliper could be used by fabricating a bracket off the mount bracket points. I'd be happy to loan someone one of my brackets if they want to machine something up for sale, but I have to have it back in my greedy little mitts within 30 days, cause I want the car on the ground and moving about the shop within that timeframe... I think this would be a much better, although more costly solution. How much do the wilwood spot e-brake calipers run?

Mike

------------------

http://hometown.aol.com/dat74z/myhomepage/auto.html

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

al.......

dont use those for cores! they are way too good for that...

i can get you the ZX ones for less...

see if you can find a local used ZX pair and see if the caliper bracket will bolt to the sx caliper and work with the maxima bracket..

that would be way easier and cheaper..

i have some SX calipers that are defininte cores compared to the ones i sent you...

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

Mike,

I'm seriously running out of time on this project. I can get the calpiers today after work if they work, and have this thing rolling by the end of the week. If you look at the pic on my page: http://zcar.netdojo.com/pics/parts7.jpg

These may be functional, but they are not the greatest looking, and the area around the pistons were a bit grungy (looks like it may be a little wet from fluid) so i'd rather play it safe and get new ones. Besides, I won't have to wait another few months for brackets. I have 3 weeks until this thing need to be a runner and I am STILL waiting on rear brakes, and my DAMNED ENGINE! I am willing to spend the extra money at this point to get it done. Besides, the front brakes, and all the suspension including bushings are all new, so I might as well go for all new while I'm at it. I'll tell you right now, my credit card company loves me right now!

Thanks for trying to help, but I have to just take care of this right away. I am too far behind already. My trip is less than 3 months away and I still have to mount my engine, wire it up, get exhaust made, driveshaft, and fuel system. I can't even plan on this engine right now because the guy hasn't sent it yet. so if I don't get this one, I may wind up using a carberated motor, which will use a different fuel system (different pump, 2 fuel lines). I am installing 2 3/8" anyway, but the pump and fitting are the real crucial elements, and since the 5psi pump is a totally different design from the 90psi pumps, I cant make ones that fit both, so I have to hold off until I know that I have the EFI engine. As you can tell, I am very frustrated right now, and want to get this going so I can be sure it will make it across the country. Don't want to get stuck on the side of the road in Wyoming. Don't knaw anyone there. At least I have AAA Plus!

AL

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by scca:

the bolt pattern on the hub and the caliper hanger are correct..they just need the ears further offset than they are so cutting and welding wont work as there is no steel further back to weld to..

as for calipers i am 99% sure that the maxima (81) is different.. the 82 that i got one bracket off was similar to a ZX would need one here to compare ..

i want easy. that means readily available parts..

and i priced out rebuild calipers.. ZX are almost $40 more rebuilt than 240sx.

the core charges are $75!......

I would like to know how thick the hanger bracket is on those SX calipers, where it bolts to the bracket. I'm still going to look for a car with the right brackets and/or a better setup.

I tried to pick up my new brackets today, but didn't make it there in time. I had to drop off my taxes so I can have alittle more money, due to the $162 I wasn't going to spend. Damn that hurt! Sad part is, that price didn't include lubricant and I still don't know if it will work. I will be taking pics of them when I pick them up, if anyone is interested.

As for the '81 Maxima caliper being different compared to the '82-'83 ZX, I have yet to have them side by side, but recall there is a difference in the offset of the hanger or something. I can take pics of my ZX calipers to send you if it will help, or give any measurements needed. I have measured them thoroughly. I need to get them cleaned up and ready for install this weekend anyways.

I would much rather use the SX calipers, as you stated, readily available and cheaper. Best of both worlds.

BTW guys. I've found myself a '79 280 coupe for sale that will receive a V8. Guy will hold it for me until I get the money, which won't be long. $1200 with straight body and minimal rust. I payed more for my '74 260.

Bracket.JPG

Well, here they are finally!

I went to pick them up and found out the axle housing bore was slightly offset. I don't know if the machinest did it or if the original stamping process was off, but loose enough to work. Probably the later. The machinist seemed to be very intelligent. He didn't charge me anymore to fix the problem with the bore. Thank god. He even bead blasted them for free, although I thought the welds could have been smoothed out more. I'll have to do this before I get them powder coated, but I want to make sure they fit first. I may just paint them for now. Once I pull the whole car apart for painting I'll go all out with the rest of the suspension. Several companies are going to love me.

I will be putting everything back together this weekend to see if my measurements are correct. Wish me luck. I really hope they work out like planned.

SCCA, have you compared the SX & ZX calipers yet?

There is a BIG difference in the calipers. http://zcar.netdojo.com/upload/mvc-086s.jpg (240sx) http://zcar.netdojo.com/upload/mvc-093s.jpg (280zx)

There's about 5/8" - 3/4" difference in the mounting ears - and the 280zx caliper does not work with this rotor and bracket combo. I am going to have to have my own made.

The 240sx caliper cannot fit between the rotor and bracket. The 280zx caliper: http://zcar.netdojo.com/upload/mvc-090s.jpg

sits 3/8" too far out from center and 1/2" too far back. Crap! I'll let you know about the brackets when they're done. I'll have pics and details.

AL

------------------

quote:

Originally posted by alsil:

There is a BIG difference in the calipers.
(240sx)
(280zx)

There's about 5/8" - 3/4" difference in the mounting ears - and the 280zx caliper does not work with this rotor and bracket combo. I am going to have to have my own made.

The 240sx caliper cannot fit between the rotor and bracket. The 280zx caliper:

sits 3/8" too far out from center and 1/2" too far back. Crap! I'll let you know about the brackets when they're done. I'll have pics and details.

AL

Whats really strange is the fact that the bracket in your pic

http://zcar.netdojo.com/upload/mvc-093s.jpg

Looks to have the exact offset as the ones I just had made. Which rotor and hub are you using?

[This message has been edited by spotfitz (edited February 09, 2001).]