HybridZ

Need help organizing the garage

Okimoto

How do you guys do it? I can't work on my Z car until I clean my garage up, but I have nowhere to put anything! I've tried the search function and the only thing I found was grumpyvette's thread on how he organized his twin 22 drawer toolboxes.

right now there is crap in front of the toolboxes, there's crap in the engine compartment of the Z, and there's crap just about everywhere. there's a shed in the back thats full of crap too.

The big problem is that I have a grandma who's a damn packrat who wont let me throw away a stinky sleeping bag, or a baby bouncer, etc... when I throw them in the trash can, they wind up back in that damn garage.

I've resorted to taking a camper shell and building a shelter to hold all the z car parts... but my grandma is now using that area to hold cardboard and pillows, etc...

I would sell the stuff but I don't have the time for that. I don't live there and get about 8 hours a week into that garage, and every time I go there it gets worse. It has to stop.

I'm thinking about renting a dumpster when my grandma goes to bingo and dumping everything in there... but if she sees that dumpster, she will remove everything in it... so I would have to do it in about 6 hours or less.

Any suggestions / ideas on how to organize the mess? I'd like to try and co-exist with it, and was wondering on organization systems that you guys use to co-exist with your packrat wives, etc...

DSCN1947 (Medium)_thumb.JPG

DSCN1946 (Small)_thumb.JPG

DSCN1955 (Small)_thumb.JPG

hahaha, you're funny. But I know how you feel. Except in my case it's my own fault. I have a full working woodshop in my garage. When it comes time to fiddle on the z I have to start piling table saws, wood lathes, and scroll saws onto work benches. And then try to find a place for the 7000 Christmas lights, 10 foot tall guillotine, and 2 sets of stocks? Yeah ok.

Just start stacking. Or use those black plastic bags as stated ZOwner.

I'm in the same boat. Got the engine out of the Z and looking for a new one. Have to move bikes, saws and what not to work on the Z.

But I have it good compared to you. From those pics you don't have a prayer.

Three suggestions. You may want to try all three

1) Go verticle. Hang **** from the rafters or build shelves that hang from the rafters. I have my air compressor mounted in the roof trusses of my garage.

2) build a new shed and put a lock on it that only you have the key to.

3) Start getting rid of the junk a little bit at a time. You can dump some of it everytime you drive by the dumpster behind the local grocery store. Most of that stuff, especially empty boxes, they will never be missed once it is gone.

Trust me. Those obsessive-compulsive types have so much trash they never remember it once it is out of sight.

Tell her you need a great amount of room and that you'll be happy to help her rent out a storage space to take all her stuff to. Sort it out after (or before) you move the stuff and take the unnecessary items to the dump.

I'm thinking seriously about renting a storage space to put some things in. My garage is only marginally better than yours. I don't have things stacked to the ceiling though :mrgreen:

Davy

Well, I am getting rid of one of the saturn parts cars... so now I have a place to move the RV to and can finally pull the Z car out of the garage! I might even be able to fix the termite damage on the garage.

Just a thought: Have any of you guys had any luck finding commercial property just to work on your car on? I mean, like short term rental of a year or so where you park your car, bring some tools and set up shop?

Just a thought: Have any of you guys had any luck finding commercial property just to work on your car on? I mean, like short term rental of a year or so where you park your car, bring some tools and set up shop?

This is not allowed, but you could rent a public storage space (big enough to park a car in) and come in every now and then to work on the car. I don't know if there are electrical outlets there, so lighting or power tools might be a problem, but if the storage place is huge, a space at the rear of the business, far away from the office would be my choice.

Davy

This is not allowed, but you could rent a public storage space (big enough to park a car in) and come in every now and then to work on the car. I don't know if there are electrical outlets there, so lighting or power tools might be a problem, but if the storage place is huge, a space at the rear of the business, far away from the office would be my choice.

Better yet, rent the storage area and clean out all the stuff from the garage that you don't need to work on your Z and put it all in the storage area. At some point down the road "forget" to make the payments and the people that manage the storage area will dispose of everything for you. Then it's not really your fault that everything gets thrown out.

Better yet, rent the storage area and clean out all the stuff from the garage that you don't need to work on your Z and put it all in the storage area. At some point down the road "forget" to make the payments and the people that manage the storage area will dispose of everything for you. Then it's not really your fault that everything gets thrown out.

ROTFLMAO! Yeah, all granny's stuff!!! :mrgreen: That's a great idea!!!

2:1 odds say Okimoto's granny can collect things faster than he is able to complete the car...

Davy

• 4 weeks later...

Ok i finally finished cleaning the garage. I got rid of a boatload of stuff and then some. My grandma still made me keep a bunch of crap though. And yes, the baby bouncer is still in the garage. I also came to the realization that I have more tools than i will ever need. I have maybe 8 11mm sockets and one or two tens. that sucks. My whole toolset is like that.

Now I can work on the Z.

DSCN2025 (Small)_thumb.JPG

ROTFLMAO! Yeah' date=' all granny's stuff!!! :mrgreen: That's a great idea!!!

2:1 odds say Okimoto's granny can collect things faster than he is able to complete the car...

Davy[/quote']

dude, my dad did that thing with the storage palace before... and I just remembered that my grandma's renting a garage down the street with more stuff in it! Dang it! It really is going to be "grandma's revenge" when she passes on...

Nice job :2thumbs: That actually looks clear enough to work in it. Good work organizing that garage, but sorry to hear that granny already has rental space filled up *ugh*. When my granny passed away, she didn't leave much of anything--she died poor and simple, but happy and fulfilled. I'll miss her.

Davy

dude, my dad did that thing with the storage palace before... and I just remembered that my grandma's renting a garage down the street with more stuff in it! Dang it! It really is going to be "grandma's revenge" when she passes on...

Yeah, I'm sure Granny would be missed, but take all junk and have a big ole' bonfire! B.T.W. your garage looks much better.