HybridZ

wet sand by hand or machine?

olie05

Just to let you all know, I am doing the roll on paint method. Today I put on a coat of anodized bronze, but before I did that I used an electric (one of the vibrating ones) sander with 220 grit to get the surface ready. I have to admit, it worked better than when I wet sanded the coat i had on there before.

I want to wetsand now, because the paint is kinda smooth already, so is it ok to have a spray bottle and just keep the surface wet while I go over it with 600 grit on my electric sander?

wet sanding is a delicate process.. i would definately do it by hand. by that stage it shouldn't need too much pressure anyway. get a fine grit sand paper and keep a bucket of water with you. just dip the sand paper in the water and a keep a rag handy to wipe away as you sand.

btw, i'm no expert but isnt it too soon to wetsand at 600? at 1000+ maybe

use 400 after the first two coats.. then move to like 600 after two more coats and use 1000 and 1500 after your final two coats. I only have 400 grit but lowes just got some 600 grit so I am going to go pick up a pack of it. Now I need some 1500 grit...

all of that by hand.

can you take some photos between all the coats? i'm interested to see the colour and the progress as i'm thinking of giving it a shot instead of having to mask certain parts of my car (rust at the bottom of doors i'm going to bog and then paint, i know this isn't the preferred method but i have another pair of doors now that will go on sometime) i've found out of a place thats ment to stock this paint near my in Australia, so hopefully they actully do!

can you take some photos between all the coats? i'm interested to see the colour and the progress as i'm thinking of giving it a shot instead of having to mask certain parts of my car (rust at the bottom of doors i'm going to bog and then paint, i know this isn't the preferred method but i have another pair of doors now that will go on sometime) i've found out of a place thats ment to stock this paint near my in Australia, so hopefully they actully do!

also, check this thread for progress: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=110330

DSC00815_Medium_.jpg DSC00814_Medium_.jpg

Guest ON3GO

i cant see why roll on paint is any diff then other car paints so...

NO electric DA when wet sanding UNLESS its with a 3000grit with a interface pad.

start like this.

1000 wet by hand (you can skip 1000 wet if you want and just go to the next one), 1500 wet by hand, 2000 wet by hand, 3000 wet by DA with pad.

polish with buffer with the correct compounds, correct rpm, and correct pads.

will look like glass.

mike