HybridZ

What to do about the color?

t-tom

I dont post alot (I use the search alot) but I have a problem with my fairlady z. After 2 1/2 years @ the body shop it is finally done and I dont think I like the color. I am 14000.00 in right now and it will another 5-7k to paint it again. I wanted the bright VW Bug yellow from 2001 and the color on the car is more of a milky yellow, the body is about as close to flawless as you can get, and the color is not bad but its just not what I had pictured in my mind when I started the project. So do I just bite the bullit and have them re-spray the car in another shade of yellow or try to learn to like the color on it now. I should have pictures in the next few days.

Tom, you could tell them it doesn't match the chip you selected, then watch the expressions on their faces. Or if this was your fault, shrug it off and keep it. The lighter yellow looks much more period correct for the Z can anyway. I sold the New Beetles so I know both colors you are talking about. You have a ton of money in your car already, you just have to decide if it pains you to no end to keep the color. Decide after 1 year. BTW, I like the lighter yellow.

Davy

Do you have any pictures of the car? If you put one on here, and create a poll, you'll get more responses. I like brighter yellows, personally, but I don't know which would look better on your car without actually seeing it. Some colors look much better on some cars than others.

Tom' date=' you could tell them it doesn't match the chip you selected, then watch the expressions on their faces. Or if this was your fault, shrug it off and keep it. The lighter yellow looks much more period correct for the Z can anyway. I sold the New Beetles so I know both colors you are talking about. You have a ton of money in your car already, you just have to decide if it pains you to no end to keep the color. Decide after 1 year. BTW, I like the lighter yellow.

Davy[/quote']

I agree. give it a while and then decide if you still don't like it.

Tom, that is so not the color in the picture you originally posted. Are you sure you told them you wanted that exact color and you showed them the color chip? Did you already fully pay the ticket or did you have to leave some sort of a deposit? Read the fine print on your contract.

The large print giveth, the small print taketh away.

IMO, which is just an opinion, dont let them stick this with you, its there fault for not painting your car right.

This is definitely a learning experience for me, I now know that when ever I get my car painted, I want to see a test spot so I can judge the final color.

I am going to let the color slide and try to get used to it. Just A little fyi Dont pay up front and get lots of pictures!! Plus make them put everything in writing!! They pushed my car to a corner and didnt touch it for months at a time. Then they tried to cut corners on the paint finish. When I went to pick the car up the first time there was orange peel everywhere and 2 big runs in the paint that you could see from 5 feet away. This whole thing has been 1 big learning experience! After all the hassle with the body shop I dont think I want them repainting my car anyway. The real bad part is I referred 2 people to this shop (34000.00 worth of work not counting my 14000.00) and they Treat me like I'm an a-hole beacuse I want the body on the car to near perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

There even refusing to wet sand out the runs in the paint. First they said the would, now they say they dont have time to do it. I have been very diplomatic the entire time, The car is kind of on the back burner for right now anyway. I will take it and have it wet sanded and polished in a few months. I now know what shop to not use here in kansas city!

Not enough time?! What the hell kind of business takes your money then tells you they don't have enough time to fix their mistakes? (Well, ok, a lot, but still...) How rediculous is that? You should go down there at night with a can of gasoline and a lighter, then at least they'd have an excuse for not being able to fix their mistakes...stuff like that ticks me off, sorry.

(In case the mods here are really strict about stuff like what I just said, here's my disclaimer; I wasn't serious about burning the shop down... ;) )

First and foremost what does the contract say? If they messed it up the are obligated to fix the issue. If they don't they can be sued and ultimately closed down. Do what they siad about the BBB they can alliviate the issue. Also notify the newspaper or what ever youhave there. The press can also work wonders.