HybridZ

Any pics of Z's with electric sun/moonroofs

We actually had the car in california a while and decided to have one installed (Wife loves it and the car). It works well. Here is what I emailed to goldenchild7801

"Some back ground on the power window. This power window unit is made by a Dutch company and comes in a few different sizes. I bought it at an installer that was in California when we had the car there and it cost somewhere around 800 dollars installed. They took out the old roof liner and made a custom one out of black felt wich they span across the top tightly. You might loose about an inch of head room to a sunroof but if you like sunroofs these are very nice. The glass top seals in a rubber ring and it can pivot open in the rear or you can press the other button and it will lift up and slide backward about as far as it can without hitting the hatchback. We had this installed like 3 years ago or so and it works very nice. It also comes with a roll up screen that is like a cloth with some small holes puched into it. This screen is built in and is good enough to block the hot sun from comming into the car too much. It has never leaked in water or anything like that into the car. The switches are located on the headliner right in front of the sunroof.

The things I do not like about the sunroof are the following.

At high speeds you can get air leaks or air noise from the sunroof being sucked upward as you are driving, it does not suck up enough to allow water to go in but it does allow the air noise. the speeds are like fast highway speeds. 75 and up and it has no other issues than that even at 120+ miles an hour, we proved all this out very well. A bothersome issue is when the roof is open at certain openenings and certain speeds you get an air cavitation sound that gives your ears the slight feel of being in a presurized cabin. The solution to this is slightly open or slightly close the roof a little more and it goes away. The solution that will fix both of these issues is getting a wind visor for the power roof. We are currently looking into that and will find out what works and install it on the Z. This should also help improve the aerodynamics of the car a bit because near the leading edge of the Z roof line is a poor aerodynamic line which a visor would break up well. If I were to do this again I would do two things different which is that I would mount the switch in the center console which just seems like a better place for it and I would have the roof liner done in leather instead of in cloth types of material (it would just look more finished in my opinion).

I hope this helps so far and my wife and I will get those pictures out as soon as possible. "

I might go ahead and try to post them in my profile here if I can figure it out quidk enough.

Robert, that is the same roof/company we used for the New Beetle when it first came out sans sunroof. On a very curved roof, it's murder because they have to pull the edges near the corners up to the corners of the frame of the moonroof--it looks strange after they do it, BUT on a Z with a very mild curve to the roof, it should be great. The roof only opens about 75% total as shown, but it's more than enough and looks good on the car from the outside believe it or not. I think the Dutch made roofs are quality pieces personally. Just my $.02

Davy

Guest 280ZForce
Okay my wife and I took some pictures last night of the sunroof so you can see how it looks installed. I posted them in my photo album so you can either look under my user name iaconsultants or possibly this link will work. http://album.hybridz.org/showgallery.php?cat=679

Hope this helps and you guys like it.

Good luck

Robert

that looks great! I really like it...I've always never been fond of the latch down pop up. So that definitely rocks.

Any chance we can get some 3/4 semi-bird's eye view shots of the whole car w/ the sunroof open and w/ it closed?

A view similar to this but obviously w/ your car and the sunroof...

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c105/280zforce/My%2078%20Stroker%20Turbo%20280z/IMG_0004.jpg

That would be awesome...cuz I want to see the big picture.

Thanx in advance - Justin

Guest l28et

Doesn't adding a sunroof remove a lot of the structual rigidity a car not intended to have one? Someone smart please chime in.

About the structural part of the Z. The roof skin actually adds just a little bit of structure to the car and I mean a little bit. The sunroof gets installed in a way that makes it become part of the roof and therefore makes the roof similar to having a one piece roof again. The real structural support of the roof lies in the rails along the sills of the windows and glass and they remain unaltered for this installation. If you are not concerned about those rails you could go one size larger runroof and cut into them a little to fit.

I will try to do a few birds eye pictures as requested but we are out of town so it might be a bit before we can post them.

Also for those of you that have a sunroof and want to replace the old worn out one this one should easily fit in a slightly larger cut out section of your room which makes it an easy update to your older one. If you decide to do it yourself you can use the template and cut it out.

We had ours installed because the guy would make a better deal for it installed and finished out and ready to go (It was around 800 tax included). We kept the sheetmetal peice so we could use it for test painting in the future.

Hope that helps

Robert

• 6 months later...