HybridZ

What is the limit for Dynamic CR with street gas?

olie05

I think i made a post like this a while back, but i have searched for a while and can not find it!

The question is...

Does the dynamic CR (as read from a compression tester) Help to determine if you car will be able to run on pump gas?

for example: (reason for asking!)

My engine, gets 215ish psi, and that is too much for the stock head design and 93 octane.

the stock z's came with an acceptable 164-178 psi, which will run on 87 octane

once I get a bigger cam should I be in the sub 200 psi range to be able to floor the car under load without expecting detonation?

obviously with other engines and efficient head/piston combinations and crossflow, hemi style head available, results may vary...

... but is there a general rule of thumb?

I can't provide you an answer but I think you are talking about static compression, not dynamic.

no, I am talking about dynamic. If i were talking about static I would be throwing around numbers like 10:1 and the like.

anyone else?

Whar you're reading off a compression tester is cranking psi, not dynamic compression, although the two are related. Dynamic compression is a calculated value depending on when the intake valve closes and compression actually begins.

There are a LOT of variables here- chamber design, quench, gas quality, altitude, static and dynamic compression, plugs, timing, advance curve, A/F mixture, engine temp, air temp, so YMMV.....

But a general rule is most engines do OK on 93 at 180 cranking psi or less. 190 -200 is getting pretty borderline, works in some situations but not others.

John

Thanks John. I shall henceforth call compression readings cranking psi, instead of dynamic cr. Your response was exactly what I was looking for. I figured an engine with a pent roof or hemi crossflow head would do much better with >200 "cranking psi" than a 2 valve non-crossflow L-engine head. I am curious what my cranking compression will be when I install a cam.

Too many variables to predict, you'll just have to cut and try. If it's too high, retarding the cam a few degrees can help, also retarding the timing, or slowing down the advance curve may help.

FWIW, I had a 10.5:1 355 with a med cam, 230ish @50, cranking pressure 190-195, and it ran fine on pump 93 until the ambient temp hit about 90deg, then it would spark knock some. Like I said, YMMV!

John

no' date=' I am talking about dynamic. If i were talking about static I would be throwing around numbers like 10:1 and the like.

anyone else?[/quote']

Some students are a bit haisty in their responce. When I was your age I knew everything too!!! Sorry for the slam, but you needed it!