HybridZ

Question about hooking up a Taurus fan

zane9000

I have a Taurus electic fan that I want to wire to my megasquirt. Im not using the fast idle circuit, so I was thinking that I could take teh FIdle output form the DB37 connector and run it to a normaly closed relay that would control the fan. That way I could set the FIdle in megatune to whatever temp I want the fan to turn on at. Will that work?

The FIDLE output was intended to run a relay on the MS relay board, so why not use it for fan control, as long as MSnS_Extra allows you to select FIDLE output for fan control. What generally happens is that most people use the FIDLE pin for spark control, but otherwise that should work fine.

Im using the MSII code, not MSnS_E. What I was thinking is that since the FIdle is a tepreature related on/off circuit anyway, I could just set the temp that the FIdle is supposed to turn off at for the temp I want to turn the fan on at. Ill let you guys know how it works, Ill be wiring it up later today to tomorrow.

That may not work very good because you want hysteresis built into electric fan control(off to on and on to off temps to vary by a few degrees or more). The fan code for MSnS_Extra provides that hysteresis, otherwise you may have the issue of the relay kicking on/off spuratically when you cross the temp threshold and that will likely burn up your electric fan motor. I am only speaking from theory so you are welcome to try it and it might work. The FIDLE software didn't intend to pass the threshold more than once each time the engine was started and not in the reverse direction where the engine cooled down enough while running to require FIDLE to turn on again.

great link, and it address the hysteresis issue:

That will turn the relay (assuming it is NO) on at 185, off at 180 (this keeps it from flickering on and off when you are near 185). You can change the threshold value to anything you like, of course.