HybridZ

'82 Malibu?

Guest Indy

Guest Indy

I'm trying to track down a doner so i can finaly start my build. I found an affordable '82 malibu with 85k miles, v8 and auto. Seller doesn't know what size the engine is. The car is 100 miles away, so I haven't seen it yet. I'm trying to decide if it is worth the drive. Any idea whether it would be a 350 or a 305?

Locally I'm finding a lot of 305's for sale, but that doesn't seem like its worth the effort of the engine swap. Ideally I'd like a carb'd 350 with a manual tran. I've found a few 2wd trucks sporting this configuration, but is a truck engine with a 4spd going to work well for a street car?

And as dumb as this question is I'm asking it anyway. With an average runner in a car this light, what kind of mileage should I expect?

Guest Dyno_Ron

Some really small engines also came in that body style Malibu. I think it was only 267 cubic inch small block - not the most desirable engine.

Better research to be sure.

I am fairly certain that it will be a 305 in that car amoung many other Chevy cars of that time frame. You could find some police cruisers that have a strong 350 with a good overdrive automatic transmission in them. I believe the safe years would be 80 though 86 for the setup you might be looking for and I am sure there are others out there too.