HybridZ

custom projector headlight setup on ebay

Guest GLOCK23

Guest 280ZForce

Ummm...those are not projectors! Atleast not in my opinion. Those are strictly halogen headlights that bolt into those.

but looks to be a very nice design and fiberglass work for what it is.

A few of us on here, actually have real HID projectors, myself included. But nothing w/ a fancy headlight bucket like that one.

I'd be interested in seeing what those looked like on a Z though, but I know that guy already has sold his car and never had those on, but had something else fabbed up for it.

Guest GLOCK23

i am so used to having projectors along w/ HIDs and was hoping to do some sort of retrofit on the Z. How did you go about installing projectors on your Z?

Guest 280ZForce

you might want to talk to zedevan on here. he made up his own setup.

Me, on the other hand, a couple years ago happened across a one off bi-xenon HID 7" universal projector design through a HID company and they had them imported for me from Germany.

My design took very little modification, all I did was have to drill out a 2nd larger hole in the back of metal headlight protector to fit a connector in place and find a place to mount the ballasts. But everything else literally "bolted" in place except for the wiring harness I had to run, but it was no big deal really.

You can find pics of my setup in my sig by clicking my cardomain link.

But for a homemade setup from scratch, I'd talk to zedevan or a couple others on here who are attempting to do something similar or have done so. I know there are some other universal 7" HID projector kits out there similar to mine and some members here have posted some links, so try a search and it should help. Good luck w/ it and if you get around to it...I trust you that you will not be disappointed!

i was thinking of doing something similar to that design at one stage, but i prefer the look of the buckets, so if anything i'd put the clear covers on and have something similar to that (more like mazerati etc) underneath it.

something like i did was quite simple, i've got mine out of the car atm so they are up for sale (for those that can't b bothered spending the time to do a retrofit, and dont want to pay someone a few hundred to make some for them) as i'm wanting to use the money elsewhere for now (while i dont like driving the car at night without these lights, atm i can't drive it at all, so the money should be used elsewhere for now, then mayb i'll make up some sexy buckets next time)

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-e46-bmw-3-series-xenon-HID-head-lights-for-240z-260z_W0QQitemZ150005329259QQihZ005QQcategoryZ102560QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

the auction is finishing pretty soon, i will ship them internationally, but u'd have to modify it slightly for LHD cars (or just have the beam output flat instead of having a step in it.)

Guest l28et
Ummm...those are not projectors! Atleast not in my opinion. Those are strictly halogen headlights that bolt into those.

I'd be interested in seeing what those looked like on a Z though' date=' but I know that guy already has sold his car and never had those on, but had something else fabbed up for it.[/quote']

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=107733&highlight=headlights

headlightbuckets8bz.png

While the headlights that are offered with it are not projectors/HIDs, there is no reason they couldnt be retrofitted.

Guest 280ZForce
While the headlights that are offered with it are not projectors/HIDs, there is no reason they couldnt be retrofitted.

that is correct, but he offers them as saying they already are projectors.

and the little projector you see in that pic does exactly what? use of a turn signal? definately not a driving light being that small.

I really like your setup. How much did it all cost?

headlights: Ebay $35

Acura MDX projectors, converted to fit D2S HID bulbs: $90

Philips 4300k D2S HID bulbs: $65

Matsushita ignitors and ballasts: $200

PVC 2" Pipe reducers: $5

the MDX projectors are an excellent projector for the money however it is not bi-xenon. For amazing output look into Acura TSX, Honda S2000, Lexus LS430 (the absolute best), Acura TL (for the best bi-xenon). These are all made by "Stanley". the Matsushita ballasts are some of the best and this model is truly waterproof but you can find OEM BMW/Mercedes/etc. ones that are good on ebay for much less now.

good luck!

Ah, so it was you that purchased them. They went a bit too high for my taste/budget, but that's the price you pay for exclusivity. If I had the money at the time, I would have bought them. I think you did alright and they'll look great on your car. Nice.

EDIT: I thought they went for higher than what I confirmed: you did VERY well on this IMO. :2thumbs:

Davy