HybridZ

autox tires... 14"?

Here is the deal...

I will soon be getting double entry autox's for very little money through a club at schoo, and I will also be sharing my car with a friend... so that's double driver- double entry autox's in one day. With houston region scca that amounts to 16 competition runs per race day.

Here's the problem

TIRES! There is no way I am going to run any tire I put through this kind of abuse on the street AND the autox. I want to run my steelies with some possibly 195/60/14 size tires, with decent grip. My car is not a race car, so street tires will be fine. So far I have looked at:

Yokohama avs-es100

Falken rt-615

(edit) -->Dunlop sport a2 plus

ok so thats pretty much it for now. I'm really trying to stay under or around 300 shipped. I know that's cheap, but these tires are going to get chewed up so I don't want to spend that much money on 'em.

I would put on some used tires, just don't know where to get them...

Guest 81na ZX

195/55/14

Kumho ESTCA V710 R Compounds $126.00 each

Kumho Victoracers $110 each (tirerack prices)

Thoes are definatly the way to go ;)

what about used slicks?

I would assume that slicks would last longer than any street tire in a racing environment. There's a guy on ebay selling some that I might buy.

Oh yeah, I'm trying to stay under 300 total. (broke college student with a part time job :( )

what about used slicks?

I would assume that slicks would last longer than any street tire in a racing environment. There's a guy on ebay selling some that I might buy.

Oh yeah' date=' I'm trying to stay under 300 total. (broke college student with a part time job :( )[/quote']

No, slicks won't last longer in a race environment.

Many of the harder R-compound DOT rated tires are fine to drive on the street, from time to time. AO32's, etc. They will offer much more grip on the track than any street tire.

Guest 81na ZX

But much less than a good R compound ;) If you look at the winners, most nationals winners last couple years used Kumho's and before that it was hoosiers.

Slicks - i.e. not DOT - are illegal for classes under straight modified (E Mod is where a Z would end up).

IF you can find some used ones, but not used up, with about 2 or 3/32 tread left, you might be able to get a light season out of them. Most R Compounds have ~6/32 new but are shaved to 4/32 for dry use.

I'm not trying to win any classes, the whole point of the cheap autocrosses is to provide a "driver's ed" for possible FSAE drivers. :) ok there i spilled the beans...

No worries about class restrictions here.

and i ordered these used tires:

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=36901670&site=0&ver=EOIBSA080805&lk=URL&Item=230003665981

and

http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29392-2357-0?uid=36901670&site=0&ver=EOIBSA080805&lk=URL&Item=230003671947

I hope these will fit on my stock steelies... otherwise i'm definitely thinking about veritech-z's 14's

Thanks for the replies!

I will soon find out how well (or how bad) these slicks fit on the stock rims. I have a feeling I am making some sort of mistake by mixing stock and the extreme end of modified...

On the other hand, I will be running my first autox on my current 225-50-15 setup, and I will run the next one with the slicks. This should provide a good basis for comparison.